Discuss Reclaimed red quarry tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post, so thank you for letting me be here. I'm hoping someone with more experience than I have can help with the following query.

I have a quantity of Victorian red quarry tiles that came out of a kitchen in a terraced house in York. 6 inch by 6 inch by one inch.

If I lay these on concrete outside, is there any way they won't be spalled to hell after a winter or two freezing and thawing? I know some quarry tiles are frostproof, but I've also seen them laid outdoors and reduced to a latticework of raised cement mortar by the weather.

I'd like to use them if I can, but don't want to be looking at a scene of devastation in a couple of years time.

Does anyone have any experience of using reclaimed quarry tiles outdoors? Are there any steps I can take to preserve them, by the way I lay them? Or am I needlessly concerned?

Cheers
Richard

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
A solid adhesive bed on a correctly prepared base, properly compacted grout and sealed to saturation point with a quality inpregnator such as DryTreat or Lithofin KF stainstop. You'd obviously want a gradual even fall so no pooling of potentially damaging water.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Deffo, reclaimed tiles can look superb. Lithofin Bob on here is your man for an extensive cleaning, sealing and maintenance plan. DryTreat Original if you can find a supplier is a brilliant sealer......just don't tell Bob.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I got my front garden path done in 6x6x1 inch reclaimed quarries. Cost me 40p each about 10 years or so ago. I bought some spares just in case the first damaged them. I still got all the spares.... I used a diamond pattern and three colours. I never got round to grouting them which I figure offers me a bit of slip resistance in the winter. Only thing I have to make sure of is that they don't get algae on them as they get slippery as wotsit.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh and I wouldn't seal them outside. I'd just clean them every so often.... That's what I do.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Spalling is a chance you take TBO , sealing will help with general cleaning but water penetration can even come from the substrate and the freeze/thaw factor is the bug bear of spalling .

Keeping removing snow off them from freezing etc will help.

And as above no pooling of water is a must in severe frost weather.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Always a chance you take ,as David says, will depend alot on the make up of the tiles the desity amd porosity of them. impregnating possible with a suitable product. Again as David says the issue can be more underlying from moisture migrating up through the tiles from substrate, most impregnators will breath and can also aid with water dispersion from the surface .
If you impregnate, give a second application to the grout once fully dry to stop water entering through these areas.

Impregnated or not the tiles can always be cleaned, mild acidics for the salts that may form on the surface and algae removers for the green stuff-

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Much appreciated.

Do people think that moisture migration via the substrate could be mitigated if a DPM were included? Or would this just create a greater risk of trapping water?

Cheers
Richard

Reply to Reclaimed red quarry tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks