Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Reclaimed brick floor, advice to choose sealer please (not linseed). in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've just laid a reclaimed brick floor in my kitchen (full bricks, 2.75 inches thick). I haven't pointed them yet, as I need to seal them first. Problem is, I need help to choose what type to get. I love the natural colour, mellow and rustic, so ideally I don't want that to change. However, the surface is rough and I can imagine that, leaving them with a matt finish, they will be a nightmare to clean. So, the ideal scenario is to seal it with something that won't change the colour and lets the floor breathe, and is either a delicate silk finish, or add a top coat to achieve the same effect. What I definetly would hate is any darkening/plastic looking finish. Also a high gloss isn't the look I'm after. So, can someone please help?

OP
P

Perry

Re: Reclaimed brick floor, advice to choose sealer please (not linseed

lets see a picture

OP
C

confusedyouwill

Ok, I get some tomorrow in daylight. Thanks for your reply.

OP
C

confusedyouwill

DSCF0107.jpg DSCF0109.jpg DSCF0110.jpg

OP
C

confusedyouwill

The first photo is natural daylight, the other two are with the flash.

OP
P

Perry

I used to a natural sealer for terracotta but I can't rember what it was :shy: Not sure how stainstop would be as would need to feel the brick see how pours it is some of the other guys are more used to the monden day sealers they may have more idea

OP
C

confusedyouwill

It''s very porous, soaks up water like a sponge. Whatever I use, it's gonna take a lot.

OP
C

confusedyouwill

Any ideas lads? I need to get this sorted soon.

OP
B

Bubblecraft

That's a stunning look! I like it. Not sure best sealer for it though. Sorry

OP
C

confusedyouwill

Bubblecraft - Thanks for the kind words. They look even better in the flesh and i love them. Which is why I am determined not to cover them in plastic looking gunk. Natural as possible is what I'm after.

DPF - The clue is in the title, NOT LINSEED!:smilewinkgrin: I used it years ago on some old Norfolk pamments, and it looked awful. I don't like what it does to terracotta either, but thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

confusedyouwill

No, I haven't but I will now. Thanks.

OP
P

Perry

this has had a coat of stainstop on it then osma oil not to dark but you have to be confident in what you do or you could get in a pickle as you can see it doesn't darken it much on the left of the tile it hasn't had the oil on it
pjc-albums-pete-picture46343-20121019-105957-1.jpg

OP
C

confusedyouwill

Yes that looks Ok, in fact it's rather nice. Certainly doesn't look like it's covered on a thick coat of gunk, and the colour hasn't changed that much either. I think I could live with that. I haven't heard of stainstop or osma oil though. I googled the oil and Osmo oil came up, is that the same?

I had a look at LTP, but the cost is prohibitive on the floor area and amount I'd need to use on these very porous bricks.

Reply to Reclaimed brick floor, advice to choose sealer please (not linseed). in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock