Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss re sealing shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

helpme

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

I need some advice on re applying sealant in my shower. We have had some movement and a gap in the corner of the shower has appeared (I've attached a picture) The gap is over 7mm.
How would be the best way of re sealing this? I was going to use CT1 sealer.
[IMG]

OP
H

helpme

-
Reaction score
Had a structural surveyor in and they said it was movement caused by hot weather last year. It closed up a bit this winter but has opened again this summer. Its a 1910 terrace. The surveyor said its pretty natural in the south (im in Bromley Kent)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
First of all you will need to remove all the silicone by mechanical means i.e. sharp blades etc.
There will still be a very thin film left so use Silicone Remover from Screwfix £4ish
1568652155371.png
. Paint this stuff on, leave to dwell, then scrape it off again.

Now for the fun bit, either re apply new silicone yourself (if you are confident) or call a silicone man (professional). If you do it yourself you will need the silicone, silicone gun, profiling tool, baby wipes. If I were you I would go down the professional route as a 7mm gap is pretty big. Mosaic type tiles are also more difficult to get a straight bead of silicone (because of all the bumps).

OP
H

helpme

-
Reaction score
Nice one ! Do I actually look for a silicone man or a plumber? (stupid question I know !!!) I've tried to apply silicone myself before with varying success so maybe a pro will be better to make sure I have a good seal .

O

On one

Once you have removed the silicone you might have some remnants of the old grout to remove as well.
7mm is quite a large gap, so it would be best to backfill the gap (with silicone) then cut the nozzle again and apply over the top to cover the 7mm gap.

J

J Sid

So you have been using the shower for a year? With this problem? It would not have been water tight even if it looked like it had closed up after it originally open up.
Some more investigation would be wise before you reseal.
If you are going to reseal, remove silicon from the whole area, round tray as well. See if it's damp when lower silicon is removed. Take of shower tray up stand if you have one and check for signs of water under tray.

D

Dumbo

Nice one ! Do I actually look for a silicone man or a plumber? (stupid question I know !!!) I've tried to apply silicone myself before with varying success so maybe a pro will be better to make sure I have a good seal .
Silicone man or a tiler . Plumbers just smear it everywhere .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ha ha!
I would say that’s about 95% accurate @jcrtiling.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Most I have known tend to use their thumb as a smoothing tool. 😂

OP
H

helpme

-
Reaction score
well thanks all for your advise. I'm going the get a silicone man in to get it done as tbh im not that great using a sealing gun. I'm ok round worktops but something like this i need to know its done properly

Reaction score
Did something very similar the other week. Looks like you are sorted for tradesman, but I did the same on my main bathroom a few weeks ago. I didn’t have huge gaps, and my crack along the ceiling was only a couple mm. I have a 1800’s property, and it expands and contracts with the seasons also. Apparently this is what they call “character” !! Anyways, my biggest issue is that all the joins had been grouted before silicon, so the silicon was just for show, and I spent most of the day digging out grout with a multi tool.

I’ll stop rambling! My point is that using a proper silicone profiling tool, and keeping at a slight angle (so that you are on the next mosaic before you
Leave the last gives a nice smooth bead, and I was really impressed with the final finish, and was surprisingly easy. Guilty for being a wet finger guy for years, but the profiliers with the silicon rubber changeable tips are fantastic!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't the structure need sorting out at all?

It should have been pinned further back. You can have corners moving 7mm every bloody where - surely? lol

What's going on? Is this a new build by any chance and all stud walling everywhere and single brick external brickwork?

Am I the only one thinking after 3 or 4 years, going through 12 seasons, it's doing to either pull tiles off because the silicone is so good, or your taps and bath and things might have moved 7mm per year if the floor is fitted well and not moving, and you have 28mm of tile to carry on with that year. ? lol

Are we just hoping here it grows 7mm and retracts 7mm each season, and hoping it just comes back. But this time squishing the silicone?

Doesn't seem right to me this lol

Reply to re sealing shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock