Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Re-grouting washing out! Could original grout be epoxy?? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Having had an issue with water ingress I have been trying to regrout my shower cubicle.

I approached the original tile supplier who gave me Larsen Colourfast 360 grout (cement base) as he said that’s “likely” to be what was used.

I allowed the cubicle to dry for several weeks and removed the top of the existing grout by around 3-4mm. Existing grout was so tough a carbide tip multi tool was only option.

long story short, after regrouting 3 times the grout always looks to have set but once water is applied it turns Sandy and washes out in lumps.

initially thought it was somthing I’d done so followed instruction to a T and still same results. Then tried Mapei grout which ended the same way.

I now suspect the existing grout may be epoxy based and isn’t allowing the cement based grout to dry/harden correctly.

Is this something any of you have experienced or know of? I’m at my wits end as I’m looking at removing grout for a 4th time.

I have attached a picture of the original grouting to see if you can even visually identify it as an epoxy based system. The micro bubbles and toughness make me think it might be epoxy.

Any info or advice would be very much appreciated. If it’s epoxy based then I’ll know to use that instead.
cface9a4-6ea7-4012-a8c8-948894e85eb2-jpeg.112383

Attachments

• CFACE9A4-6EA7-4012-A8C8-948894E85EB2.jpeg
    CFACE9A4-6EA7-4012-A8C8-948894E85EB2.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 31

Reply to Re-grouting washing out! Could original grout be epoxy?? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock