Discuss re grouting and underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

spenny

hi guys,

i have been asked to come out and price a job that a previous tiler has done at christmas time,but customer does not like the job that has been left!

In one bathroom the grout has come loose on floors(floor has underfloor heating) i suggested that the heating may have been turned on before it was set-customer said he put it on after 2 days of job finished as per tiler instructions. I would have recommended 1 week?

So he would like me to re grout-how much of a killer job is this!? Whats the best way of doing it-is it feasable to grout over existing grout,or best in long run to remove grout with grout remover then grout as normal?

Also, im a bit unsure about doing bathroom no2 with the underfloor heating. Already is carpets on the floor, but it would be my 1st crack at doing underfloor heating by myself-any hints and tips?

APOLOGIES ADMIN AS I POSTED THIS INCORRECTLY IN ANOTHER ROOM!

E

enduro

It would be best to remove as much grout as you can, are you sure the grout hasn't cracked due to movement in the sub floor? If the floor has underfloor heating i probably would explain to the customer that removing the grout could damage underfloor heating and then the whole floor will have to come up...I would walk away from this one, sounds like to much at stake for my liking. If you do decide to do it write it on a quote regarding damage to underfloor heating and that you will not be liable for replacing whole floor if its damaged, and get customer to sign it before you start work. :thumbsup:

S

spenny

good point enduro-i think it sounds a bit too messy for my liking,and may come back to bite me on the ar$e. Its always difficult trying to go over other peoples errors.

Any advice on putting down the underfloor heating?

S

smartile

Hey spenny. I guess its electric UFH?.. Once aain its one of those jobs mopping up someone elses mess. Eithout knowing the history of wots going on underneath chances are the grout will fail again. Did the previous tiler use flexible products? Is the sub floor sound? Cutting out grout cud damage the heating wire then that'll be your fault! I would be wary of doing this. As for the new bathroom installing UFH is reletively straight forward but will require electrician to install wiring circuit. Best to follow instructions supplied with kit. Make sure wires never touch or cross. make sure thermo probe is correctly positoned. Normal to flat screed over top of wire to embed, then tile on top of that. Best to use plastic trowels so not to damage wire. wire should be tested prior to laying out after layin out and after tiles laid too. dont lay wire under sink pedastals or toilet pans or any area where drilling may occur. use flexible ad & grout compatible with UFH. Other than that its a case of taking your time in laying out the wire and treating it with care. Once this ones under your belt they'll become easier...Good luck matey :thumbsup:

O

Olz

There was another thread on the forum about laying UHF, i cant find it but the basic advice was;

Make sure the substrate is sound, lay the UHF then screed and allow to dry for three weeks, (1 week for bal quickset cement).

After drying out, heat at a maximum of 5 degrees C until you hit 25 degrees C. Then leave it at 25 degrees C for three days then let it cool to room temperature.

Then either turn it off, or drop it down to room temp. Then Tile.

After tiling, leave for 2 weeks before heating it to its operating temp, at a max of 5 degrees C a day.

Thinking on it could have been on a bal info sheet that i saw it.

Hope that helps

D

Davidson

Hi guys a quick question, I've got underfloor heating in my kitchen I've heard that you can you use silicone for grouting on underfloor heating.

Just need some advice as I've been told grout will crack once heating is on..

D

Davidson

Hi can you please tell me if I can use silicone for grouting on underfloor heating..

I've been advised that I can there's nothing wrong with it.

Rae

-
Reaction score
Hard to take grout out and re grout ,not worth the hassle ,especially when someone elses work

M

Markkkkk

All you people moaning and telling him to walk away. It's not hard to rake it out and re-grout. My tiler raked it right out to adhesive level and re-grouted in a couple of hours.

Reaction score
Hi guys a quick question, I've got underfloor heating in my kitchen I've heard that you can you use silicone for grouting on underfloor heating.

Just need some advice as I've been told grout will crack once heating is on..
Hi Davidon,

tiling onto under floor heating is always a complicated task for any tiler. From my experience, I suggest you go with uncoupling mat, which would act as a buffer layer between the tile and substrate. I've tried using silicone before and it didn't turn out to be a long-term solution.

Hope this helps

Reply to re grouting and underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks