Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss "Random" Pattern. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Folks, Mother in law has roped me i nto tile her kitchen splashback, about 3 yards.

The tiles she picked are 3 different colours. How do you tile a random pattern without looking terrible ? Any hints or tips ?

dptiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i work with say 10 of each colour at a time.
then i know im using even amounts. only 3 colours its harder to kept apart.
but random is random. i try not to put the same colour next to each other.
may be only the same corner to corner.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've just finished one of these - I took 3 of each colour (9 in total) and gave them a shuffle like a pack of cards and stuck 'em up as they were dealt.
I did have to tweak it now and again to avoid a block of 4 which can look bad and it's also wise to stand back every now and again to make sure you haven't inadvertently tiled a 'penis' shape or something equally inappropriate :grin:
Here's a few piccies:
DSCF0311.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

DSCF0308.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0314.jpg

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys

wayne

TF
Reaction score
place the three colours in equal stacks in front of you take one from each and make one single stack. just make the order you take them from different each time eg 1,2,3 2,3,1 3,1,2 etc.... hope you understand as its easier to do than write

OP
J

JEC-CTD

Thanks guys

Thats one of the truest randoms I've seen for a while m8.

I've had many a debate about this, so many people say random but actually have no idea what it is and end up with stripes or checkerboard.

It looks good to me but I bet some customers would complain about having blocks of colour etc.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Full tile from worktop left a fanny-hair slither at window sill.

OP
B

burncross

thought it must be something to do with window, i'v sometimes put a piece of plaster board to raise sill
looks good tho mate

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I normally do that too but in this house you would have been left with a fanny hair slither of a window frame :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thats one of the truest randoms I've seen for a while m8.

I've had many a debate about this, so many people say random but actually have no idea what it is and end up with stripes or checkerboard.

It looks good to me but I bet some customers would complain about having blocks of colour etc.

Totally agree. Fortunately this customer loved it. I did point out before I started that random with 3 colours means blocks of colours. If you avoid blocks with 3 colours then stripes or checkerboard will always be the result ie. a pattern, and then they'll ***** about that.

OP
W

Woody123

Looks excellent macten. Well done
All the pictures of tile i have seen of yours always look like a good quality job. Keep up the good work mate.

Reply to "Random" Pattern. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock