Discuss "Random" Pattern. in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

O

oleras

Hi Folks, Mother in law has roped me i nto tiling her kitchen splashback, about 3 yards.

The tiles she picked are 3 different colours. How do you tile a random pattern without looking terrible ? Any hints or tips ?

dptiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i work with say 10 of each colour at a time.
then i know im using even amounts. only 3 colours its harder to kept apart.
but random is random. i try not to put the same colour next to each other.
may be only the same corner to corner.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I've just finished one of these - I took 3 of each colour (9 in total) and gave them a shuffle like a pack of cards and stuck 'em up as they were dealt.
I did have to tweak it now and again to avoid a block of 4 which can look bad and it's also wise to stand back every now and again to make sure you haven't inadvertently tiled a 'penis' shape or something equally inappropriate :grin:
Here's a few piccies:
"Random" Pattern. | TilersForums.com Filename: {userid}

Last edited:
All advertising can be removed by subscribing.
This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.

wayne

TF
Supporter
Reaction score
place the three colours in equal stacks in front of you take one from each and make one single stack. just make the order you take them from different each time eg 1,2,3 2,3,1 3,1,2 etc.... hope you understand as its easier to do than write

This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.
OP
J

JEC-CTD

Thanks guys

Thats one of the truest randoms I've seen for a while m8.

I've had many a debate about this, so many people say random but actually have no idea what it is and end up with stripes or checkerboard.

It looks good to me but I bet some customers would complain about having blocks of colour etc.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I normally do that too but in this house you would have been left with a fanny hair slither of a window frame :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Thats one of the truest randoms I've seen for a while m8.

I've had many a debate about this, so many people say random but actually have no idea what it is and end up with stripes or checkerboard.

It looks good to me but I bet some customers would complain about having blocks of colour etc.

Totally agree. Fortunately this customer loved it. I did point out before I started that random with 3 colours means blocks of colours. If you avoid blocks with 3 colours then stripes or checkerboard will always be the result ie. a pattern, and then they'll ***** about that.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
^ ^ ^^
:lol:

Not sure about the colour but I didn't need to square the window so it couldn't
have been curly :grin:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Just looked at those, that's a nice job mate:thumbsup:
----
Like yours too Macten, very neat and tidy. No trim around the window?

I turned up with my mitre block but no trim had been provided - this is a new build and the site manager told me to go ahead without it.
I personally prefer the look without trim tbh (and it's easier :thumbsup: )

OP
H

Hpst

That is exact colour scheme I am looking at for my kitchen. Could you tell me what colour are your units and floor and where did you get your tiles from and their size. Ideally, I like the 15 x 15 but don't think they look good in random.
Nice effect

OP
L

Leatherface

Funny,
have discussed this many times before ! For tiles to be "random" it involves not thinking about it too much and sticking them on as they come ! But if you do then you can end up with colour blocks and running out of one colour and having too many of another left over.
My best advice is to discuss in depth with customer prior to start. Ask them how they perceive random to look. some customers may not like to see a block of more than three together.
truly random would mean tipping all the tiles on the floor, mixing them up then shutting your eyes and picking up which came next.
In reality you still have to think about the "random" pattern, which is quite a contradiction of terms. :dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to "Random" Pattern. in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com