Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Quoting before seeing the state of the walls - how do I go about it? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Stevee

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
When quoting for a job how do I know what to quote if the old tiles havnt been removed and I don't know the state of the walls

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Are you removing the tiles? If you expect them to be removed then it's best to go and look when removed and then firm up your quote. If they are unhappy with a revised quote for extra prep work then walk away.
I always put a paragraph in my quote detailing the cost of worst case. e.g. all out and dot and dabbed walls with a cost so that the customer knows how much it could potentially cost.

OP
S

Stevee

TF
Reaction score
Are you removing the tiles? If you expect them to be removed then it's best to go and look when removed and then firm up your quote. If they are unhappy with a revised quote for extra prep work then walk away.
I always put a paragraph in my quote detailing the cost of worst case. e.g. all out and dot and dabbed walls with a cost so that the customer knows how much it could potentially cost.
Yes I'm removing the tiles thanks

S

Spare Tool

You can't 'quote' on a can of worms... Best and worst estimate is all you can offer at this stage, but the most important thing is to keep your customer informed and updated then they understand where there up to at all times...

D

Dumbo

You can only quote for what you can See and put in a caveat about possible extra work .

O

One Day

Good early clear communication is key. Explain that unforseen work will incur extra cost.

Reaction score
If any unknowns, try to quote on a 'worse case' scenario, maybe give 2 figures the first if all goes to plan, old tiles come off okay, minimum damage to substrate.. etc second one, tiles are a pig to get off, walls need patching and re-boarding. With experience you will get an idea of what walls will come out better. Tiles on bare plasterboard are the worse for causing damage, lath and plaster walls usually need taking back and a real mess.. block walls usually cause no issues. Never easy but by allowing a worse case you shouldn't end up shooting yourself in the foot (as I'm sure we have all done in the past) and end up loosing out. Like others have said, keeping the customer informed and good communication is key. Good luck

Reply to Quoting before seeing the state of the walls - how do I go about it? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock