Discuss Quote opinions in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post and not entirely sure if this is the right place to post my question so please do advise me if there's a more suitable area.

We are looking at having our kitchen retiled and have approached a tradesperson to complete the work for us.

I'd really like some advice on the quote provided as I personally feel it's astronomical. The room is approx 3100x2900mm. This is wall to wall but obviously we wouldn't require tiling all the way under the units just past the plinths.

Here is what I sent to the tiler:

Hi there,

Below are the images. Please forgive the mess. Just done dinner and in the middle of decorating upstairs so absolute mayhem.

As mentioned we brought the tiles. They’re wickes tiles. Apologies as I know these aren’t the best but the better half really liked them. They’re a glazed cream 600x300 I think. I know they need sealing (at least that’s what it says in the box). We haven’t purchased any materials so would be happy for you to include those in your quote as I’m sure you have preferred brands.

Finally if it helps or changes figures dramatically were happy to remove the existing tiles.

Kind regards.

c81633b7-0d45-436b-a2b7-38fb4abbf8f1.jpg
eee83692-c182-4bfe-8e13-cbe460f91a8f.jpg
63286868-623a-47a1-93ef-c962d8f4461d.jpg

Here was the quotation response:

Hi Brodie,

If you remove the existing tiles the tiling quote will be as follows.

To prepare surface for tiling with levelling compound £200.00 + VAT

To complete kitchen flor tiling £675.00 + VAT

SUB TOTAL £875.00

VAT £175.00

TOTAL £1050.00

If you would like us to remove the tiles it would be an additional £350.00

My quote does not include for the removal of waste from the property upon completion but it will be bagged and left clean and tidy.

Regards

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We're based in Nottinghamshire and I'd be keen to see what others would quote for this job.

Kind regards,

Brodie B

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This sort if post really annoys me. If you want to use this tradesman soecifucally then pay his price. If you have selected him because of good reputation ir recomendation then hes probably worth it. If you think its astronomical tell him. He might gave based ut on something else. If you cannot afford it try to negotiate to a level you can live with. If you aren't bothered but just want the cheapest get more quotes. I'm sure someone will do it cheap for cash. No point coming in here moaning a price us too high. It's an advice forum not an auction site...

Reaction score
This sort if post really annoys me. If you want to use this tradesman soecifucally then pay his price. If you have selected him because of good reputation ir recomendation then hes probably worth it. If you think its astronomical tell him. He might gave based ut on something else. If you cannot afford it try to negotiate to a level you can live with. If you aren't bothered but just want the cheapest get more quotes. I'm sure someone will do it cheap for cash. No point coming in here moaning a price us too high. It's an advice forum not an auction site...
At what point did I say I was moaning? I was looking for opinions.

I haven't once said I disagree with the price. What I said was, I think it's an astronomical figure. I have never paid for tiling before in my life. I have no idea what a job like this costs. This may well be an accurate rate for the job in hand. If it is, then that's what I'll pay. But canvassing opinion first is what anyone with common sense would do is it not? No one walks into a car dealership and pays the price on the screen without being in the knowledge of the market. It's a bit difficult to get knowledge of the market without posting on forums like this.

As you've said; this is an advice forum. Which is why I have come here for opinions and advice. Sadly, and i genuinely mean sadly, the tradesperson industry has been littered with people taking uneducated customers, like myself for a ride and making a pretty penny off it. I've come here to get opinions of educated people to make sure I'm not being taken for that ride.

So sorry if it offends you or annoys you. But I think it's a rather valid post. The person came with no recommendation. It was a result of a google search as I'm completely unrelated to this field or work.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes that does seem high.
And Its ok to come on hear and ask the question, Thats all part of what
we are hear for. My advice to you would be to get another couple of quotes
Maybe with a tiler someone you know has used and are happy with.
Maybe ask for details of some of there work, but like anything you get
what you pay for, but maybe the tiler who quoted for you is really busy
and put in a high price or maybe thats his rate, who knows...
Oh and i would stay away from stores like wickes if i was you.
Good luck

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At what point did I say I was moaning? I was looking for opinions.

I haven't once said I disagree with the price. What I said was, I think it's an astronomical figure. I have never paid for tiling before in my life. I have no idea what a job like this costs. This may well be an accurate rate for the job in hand. If it is, then that's what I'll pay. But canvassing opinion first is what anyone with common sense would do is it not? No one walks into a car dealership and pays the price on the screen without being in the knowledge of the market. It's a bit difficult to get knowledge of the market without posting on forums like this.

As you've said; this is an advice forum. Which is why I have come here for opinions and advice. Sadly, and i genuinely mean sadly, the tradesperson industry has been littered with people taking uneducated customers, like myself for a ride and making a pretty penny off it. I've come here to get opinions of educated people to make sure I'm not being taken for that ride.

So sorry if it offends you or annoys you. But I think it's a rather valid post. The person came with no recommendation. It was a result of a google search as I'm completely unrelated to this field or work.
Get several quotes. That'll tell you if the price is right or not...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally we don't get involved in quotes and pricing. There are too many local factors that are involved. And right now some areas are doing really well (tilers are busy, so charging right) and others not so (so undercharging or just going for jobs they're not usually doing just to get work in).

So you need to get a few quotes, ask them questions about which brand of adhesive they use, which tile shops they'd recommend, that kind of thing that would catch out a chancer.

Then come back see what the average is perhaps.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
"I haven't once said I disagree with the price. What I said was, I think it's an astronomical figure"

A very contradictory statement I'm afraid.

Rates vary across the land and this is a website, so therefore by default international! As others have said, get some other prices local to you and do the homework. 🤞 Tiling is not a job that can be done over the Tinterweb so you, (and only you), can do the groundwork to get the answers. You may not like what you find, you may get three price's that vary by a great deal and you may go for the cheapest; you may even get lucky and find a tiler that's cheap and does a fantastic job. Conversely you may get unlucky and find a tiler that's expensive and does a bad job, however NON of these conundrums can be answered on a forum!

Reply to Quote opinions in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks