Discuss Questions about wall preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Loldie

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies, this is quite a long question... I am currently renovating my bathroom and soon to embark on tiling the walls with ceramic metro tiles.

When removing the old tiles, some of the plaster / skim underneath came off in patches to reveal a mixture of bare concrete and flaking original paint.
I have removed as much of the loose paint and plaster as possible but am wary of removing the whole lot as I'm 95% sure its lead based with a glaze over the top, so don't want to disturb it too much. The surface of the wall now appears to be relatively stable.

There's approx 2mm height difference between the concrete and the remaining plaster.
I was advised by a tiling shop to apply a thin layer of primer mixed with tiling adhesive 24 hours before tile installation to fill the gaps and create a level surface.

I have also purchased a tilemaster tanking kit for waterproofing purposes...

So my question is...

a) is this a reasonable approach?
b) if so, which order should I do this in? (gap fill with primer/adhesive mixture, then tank? OR tank, then gap fill?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies, this is quite a long question... I am currently renovating my bathroom and soon to embark on tiling the walls with ceramic metro tiles.

When removing the old tiles, some of the plaster / skim underneath came off in patches to reveal a mixture of bare concrete and flaking original paint.
I have removed as much of the loose paint and plaster as possible but am wary of removing the whole lot as I'm 95% sure its lead based with a glaze over the top, so don't want to disturb it too much. The surface of the wall now appears to be relatively stable.

There's approx 2mm height difference between the concrete and the remaining plaster.
I was advised by a tiling shop to apply a thin layer of primer mixed with tiling adhesive 24 hours before tile installation to fill the gaps and create a level surface.

I have also purchased a tilemaster tanking kit for waterproofing purposes...

So my question is...

a) is this a reasonable approach?
b) if so, which order should I do this in? (gap fill with primer/adhesive mixture, then tank? OR tank, then gap fill?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi. Is it just one wall or all over ?

Loldie

-
Reaction score
Hi. Is it just one wall or all over ?
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for responding.
It's only half a wall (about 1.3m wide by 1.8m high) - I have attached a photo.
The rest of the wall is covered in stable waterproof bathroom paint and I have installed new hardiebacker behind the shower.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5547 copy.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 18

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for responding.
It's only half a wall (about 1.3m wide by 1.8m high) - I have attached a photo.
The rest of the wall is covered in stable waterproof bathroom paint and I have installed new hardiebacker behind the shower.

Many thanks
Ah i see your dliemma , i wouldn’t touch that paint , looks like an old lead based one. If the skim coat is. Intact and not loose , then slurry prier it ( sbr mixed with adhesive ) and then when tacky skim over with adhesive and tank over that... follow instructions on the tanking kit for priming.

Loldie

-
Reaction score
Ah i see your dliemma , i wouldn’t touch that paint , looks like an old lead based one. If the skim coat is. Intact and not loose , then slurry prier it ( sbr mixed with adhesive ) and then when tacky skim over with adhesive and tank over that... follow instructions on the tanking kit for priming.
Thanks so much, thats really helpful!

Reaction score
Is it possible to tank over a wall that is part painted? I have applied the primer from the tanking kit Everywhere already. It’s a shower bath the top quarter of the wall is painted the rest is plaster that has had the old adhesive removed. The part that is painted won’t come into as much contact with the water. But plumber advised the whole wall should be tiled. Can I just go ahead with the tanking and will the tiler be happy just to tile over ? New to this ....

Reply to Questions about wall preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks