Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Question regarding plywood? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

yavo

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi forum, 1st post so here goes! I'm a general builder who will be having my own lounge floor tiled shortly. I won't be doing it myself but will be prepping everything beforehand. The area is 25 sq.m & I will be using 600 x 600 porcelain tiles. I intend to install 10sq.m of u\floor wire heating in the centre of the room, on top of 15mm plywood.
My question is - what type of plywood sheets should I use?

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Yavo,

None, Use a tile backerboard/insulation board instead, a far superior product to be tile to.

You will also need to latex over the UFH cables to protect them and create a level surface over the whole area for tile or use a cable carrying system like Ditraheat, DCM pro but you will be required to mat the full area. Talk it over with the tiler you will be using, he will have preferred methods and possibly wish to carry out his own prep work.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Agree with comments above, and we would be delighted to sell you underfloor heating and insulation board;

O

Old Mod

My first question would be, what are you applying the plywood to and why?
what is your main substrate?
does it suffer from deflection?
is it a suspended floor?

But as has been said, plywood is a poor choice of substrate I’m afraid.
It is too susceptible to atmospheric temperature I’m afraid, plus introduce any kind of moisture and it could be a disaster.
unfortunately plywood of today is not the same as 20yrs ago.
it warps all to easily and in some instances delaminates because of the poor resins used now.
Mainly because it’s an inferior product from the Far East

Reply to Question regarding plywood? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock