Discuss Quarry tiles with an edge profile - proving difficult to grout. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

ep_dw

Hi. I'm afraid I'm not allowed to post links or pictures so you'll have to visit these URL's manually.

I have a room tiled with these:
i.imgur.com/Srt7Zu9.jpg

They're 150x150 quarry tiles and as you can see they're not square on the edges but have a profile. A lip which varies in depth and structure, in fact - see the top-left tile for an example of this. I'm having a lot of trouble grouting them, so far a lot of it is looking like this:

i.imgur.com/C9ZsVRT.jpg

i.imgur.com/JI5CPdn.jpg

i.imgur.com/ySkQqqP.jpg

Which is just awful. The best technique I've found so far involves using a wet finger to very carefully pack grout into/onto the lips all around, especially at the 4-way corners where tile-to-tile unevenness is more pronounced. Then, for the first sponge down I have to use a small washing-up sponge and carefully wipe around the edges of every tile to cut the grout back to just where I want it - this takes me a very long time. Wiping across the tiles with a large sponge, as you would do normally, just pulls the very thin layer of grout back off the lip. I tried leaving it for a couple of hours before wiping and it still happens, and I daren't go longer or I may end up struggling later to get the grout off the tiles.

Questions:
> Why are these tiles shaped in this way?
> Am I supposed to be grouting only up to the lower level and not right to the top surface? I tried that and it was even harder to get right.
> Does anyone have a good approach to this job that will take hours rather than days?

Thanks very much,

Reaction score
although I cant see pics it is just how some quarry are ,I would grout them flush with either a sand and cement mix are a wide joint grout if its on screed are concrete are if its timber are heated flooring use wide joint flexy grout ,

Last edited:
E

ep_dw

I would grout them flush
<br>
<br>
So would I, but that's the problem. Their lip profile makes it very hard to grout them flush. I'll try the pics again...<br><br>... nope I'm still not allowed. Does anyone know when new members may post pictures/links? I'm sure that if you follow the URLs I gave you will arrive at the photos! I don't think I can explain the problem without them.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Reply to Quarry tiles with an edge profile - proving difficult to grout. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks