Discuss Quarry tiles dry white in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Help! I have Victorian quarry tiles laid on dirt. I’ve just spent days cleaning them first with HG cement, mortar & efflorescence remover as there were little bits of cement here and there after steam cleaning, then with HG Terracotta Remover. The previous owners I think just put polish over dirty tiles as i used buckets and buckets of water before they were clean. The floor looked brilliant, I waited 24 hrs to make sure the floor was dry before applying HG Terracotta Shine Seal. The first coat looked great, after drying for an hour I applied the second coat in the opposite direction. It was walked on once after an hours drying and then a couple of times 7hours later. After all this work the second coat has dried patchy with white shine seal clearly visible. Can I do anything to rescue it? I really need to get my furniture back in, Xmas tree up and will not have time to remove reapply and wait 3 days again for it to cure b4 Xmas!! Any ideas??

Attachments

• 34A4D3FB-F472-46BB-B832-05746F6B6C99.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 975F43AC-2350-4224-BF65-3792BCD22369.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 12

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like them have bloomed from trapped moisture still in the tiles. They need at least a few days to dry but this also depends on moisture within the base. Cobble wax might have been better imo.

Reaction score
Looks like them have bloomed from trapped moisture still in the tiles. They need at least a few days to dry but this also depends on moisture within the base. Cobble wax might have been better imo.
Thanks for your reply. Will I need to remove it all and start again? I will look at cobble wax

Reply to Quarry tiles dry white in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks