Discuss Quality of tile cutting when installing a metal edging strip in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
We now have a professional tiler in attempting to tile a wall up to an external corner where he has suggested incorporating a metal edging trim.

Due to the overall layout of the tiles, the tile edges next to the trim need to be cut, which the tiler has attempted to do.

He's also trying to butt the tile edges right up against the trim with no gaps in between, but this isn't working and it looks awful to me.
I'm wondering whether it would be better to allow a 2mm gap then grout between the tile edges and the trim, which might be a little more forgiving in appearances.

So far, I think the result looks really bad. I've attached a picture of the work, and would welcome any thoughts as to whether this is in any way acceptable, or whether it should be at all possible to achieve a better result than this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Chipped_tiles_at_edging_strip.jpg

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
That looks terrible and you should expect a far cleaner cut. Even if a tile is hard to cut and chipping etc, a diamond polishing pad would at least tidy it up. Then leaving a grout gap and grouting it would also likely help, but if you just leave a 2mm gap, cut tiles like that and think the grout is going to make it look good, unfortunately it won't. What you can get is a square edge trim rather than straight edge which would help. Still need a clean cut on the other side of it though. Something like this might help.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-210251_Chrome.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Jeeeez.. This is the second post I have seen with tiles looking like they have been chewed up and spat out! Are people trying to use handsaws now to cut tiles? I know some tiles can be more prone to chipping but still no real excuse for that. Are they glazed porcelain?

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
Jeeeez.. This is the second post I have seen with tiles looking like they have been chewed up and spat out! Are people trying to use handsaws now to cut tiles? I know some tiles can be more prone to chipping but still no real excuse for that. Are they glazed porcelain?
Hi JK,
No they are only ceramic, 9 mm thick.
Cut on a Siri score & snap, I think.

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
That looks terrible and you should expect a far cleaner cut. Even if a tile is hard to cut and chipping etc, a diamond polishing pad would at least tidy it up. Then leaving a grout gap and grouting it would also likely help, but if you just leave a 2mm gap, cut tiles like that and think the grout is going to make it look good, unfortunately it won't. What you can get is a square edge trim rather than straight edge which would help. Still need a clean cut on the other side of it though. Something like this might help.....

Thanks Ed, this would definitely make life easier for my tiler.
Cheers

Reply to Quality of tile cutting when installing a metal edging strip in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks