Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Very good dh, hopefully people will read and learn, and not read and weep when they have used pva and all the tiles fall off.

OP
M

Mr T

Ive known for a while now not to use p.v.a as a primer but never actually knew why.... Great bit of info there thanks matey

Reaction score
P.V.A. Versus Primers

Ive known for a while now not to use p.v.a as a primer but never actually knew why.... Great bit of info there thanks matey

Tbh we had a trade day last year with Weber and they demo'd this......you could see the penny drop in some of the "fixers" eyes....

its all about education.......think this is why I believe that tilers should use the forums to get as much information as possible.

OP
M

Mr T

yes mate I know one way or another even when I know most about tile this site will still be handy in many ways.

OP
T

TJ Smiler

Oh the arguements i have had (especially with no-it-all-builders) about the use of PVA!! Trouble is a lot of these DIY programmes still advise the use of PVA as a sealer.

OP
P

prceramics

Oh the arguements i have had (especially with no-it-all-builders) about the use of PVA!! Trouble is a lot of these DIY programmes still advise the use of PVA as a sealer.
The pva from b and q even says on the bottle ideal for prep for tile :(

OP
T

TJ Smiler

The pva from b and q even says on the bottle ideal for prep for tile :(

I think all the PVA Bottles from any manufacturer say the same.... it doesn't help when places like Niccobond have there primmers labelled as PVA (big red letters) even though it is not a PVA. how then are we supposed to get this through to someone when this type of thing is going on? Does my bloody head in, i seem to get this down here every other day with someone or other

Reaction score
I always explain the difference in pva and primer to someone questioning it.. The usual pva doesn't soak into the substrate and Sellotape doesn't stick to paint scenario normally suffices

OP
T

TJ Smiler

I always explain the difference in pva and primer to someone questioning it.. The usual pva doesn't soak into the substrate and Sellotape doesn't stick to paint scenario normally suffices

Yeah snap mate, i always get the same old 'i been doing it like that for 25 years and never had a problem answer' though.... to which i always reply 'well you have been doing it wrong for 25 years then and have you been back to see any of your old jobs recently'. Just turns into a row, i tell the customer to go away and check it out for themselves and when they do they then realise i was right......... To which the builder will say 'yeah but that's because they aint diluted it down' aaaarrrrggghhh give me a gun lol

OP
M

mike1979

I recently went to a job that had been done half height and the client changed their mind and wanted it full height so I decided it was easier to strip it off and start again I didn't tile the first attemp I stuck a trowel behind the trim and the lot came off with no effort the walls were clean as a whistle I found out who done the tile on site and asked them if they primed the wall the reply was well ye I always pva the walls up

Reaction score
I recently went to a job that had been done half height and the client changed their mind and wanted it full height so I decided it was easier to strip it off and start again I didn't tile the first attemp I stuck a trowel behind the trim and the lot came off with no effort the walls were clean as a whistle I found out who done the tiling on site and asked them if they primed the wall the reply was well ye I always pva the walls up

No surprise :)

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock