• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)

Discuss prof tiler body? in the Associations Related to the Tile Industry area at TilersForums.com

S

sapperdan

Had this subject in a previous post , but I think it got bogged down in a the previous subject , so i`ll re enter it on as a question on its own merit,
I am fairly new to the trade of tiler and have committed a lot of time and effort into learning how to carry out tiling jobs properly ,ie attending a tiler training school, buying the correct equipment, pricing, etc. I get miffed when some one does a crap job ,does a runner with the dough and leaves the customer to lick his/her wallet.
Previously as a welder when I executed the perfect weld or fabricated some sort of machinery, WELL, it gave me an inert sense of satitisfaction .The same thing applys with tiling I enjoy it because I know my conscience ensures I do the job well.(satisfied customer,lots of pats on the back) .lol . At the Edinburgh TTS our Tony and Andy were the perfect act to follow.
I know this has probably been discussed before on forums ,and excuse me if it has, but could the Tilers Forum not drum up support for an official body that governs the world of tiling .I mean along the lines of SNIPEF for plumbers etc. like I say for all I know there probably is one in operation already, if there is I want a card and the badge.
Any thoughts , comments etc.
Member Of The Tilers Organization or MOTTO for short lol

D

DHTiling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only one at present and doesn't give the sole fixer a lot in return IMHO is the TTA....I have already thought about this and if we come up with something concrete to offer, then you, the members will be the first to know...

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
I guess the problem is that for a trade body to be popular it has to be effective for the members. i.e the what's in it for me prinicpal. I know that the Contract Flooring Association does some great work on behalf of it's members. I don't know much about the TTA but I guess they must be very similar. Any trade association though should be drumming up it's own support especially in these testing times. Are any of them official sponsors of the Forums........

D

d noulton

the tta is more inline with tile stockists than sole traders imo
would be great if the forum could set its own standards tho this would be hard to monitor

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
the tta is more inline with tile stockists than sole traders imo
would be great if the forum could set its own standards tho this would be hard to monitor
I am more involved with the contract flooring association of which I am a member. They are much more active I think with the smaller outfits as well as suppliers and manufacturers than most of the trade bodies I have come across. I have been quite impressed by them overall. My company used to be a member of the TTA but we came out because we got very little from it unfortuately. I do speak with them on occasions when looking for suppliers. They have been very helpfull in my bid to track down suppliers of gypsum based adhesives. I just think they are not very good at being visible to the smaller tilers. I can see some of the benefits and attractions of trade bodies but I think for most small companies membership of any trade body is probably surplus to their needs because their work will speak for itself. If you are good at what you do you get work whether a member or not.

N

nickj

I was thinking about this after the programme the other day cowboy customers.

The problem is at the moment that customers have heard too many horror stories about a tiny percentage of the trade professions and trades do not trust customers will pay.

I completely agree that failure to pay should be a criminal offence but the customer still needs to be protected.

I think if a governing body that would cover all trades could be set up and provide arbitration at a cost. For example, a tiler or trade subscribes, a customer is legally obliged to pay or if they believe the work is sub standard has the right to consult the governing body but to do so must put the full or remaining cost of the work into a fund. The arbitration panel then send a surveyor to value the work and then the end result is final.

I appreciate the above is simplying matters some what and would take a lot more working out but in the end:

The customer has faith in who they choose
The trade has faith in that they do a good job they get paid
It would weed out the cowboys if customers were aware it existed as why would they risk there money
The governing body earns interest on the money it holds and from surveys
Even if the trade had to pay the survey costs on some jobs it's better to lose £100 then it is to lose the whole job price.

Just my half drunken thoughts anyway :8:

I was thinking about this after the programme the other day cowboy customers.

The problem is at the moment that customers have heard too many horror stories about a tiny percentage of the trade professions and trades do not trust customers will pay.

I completely agree that failure to pay should be a criminal offence but the customer still needs to be protected.

I think if a governing body that would cover all trades could be set up and provide arbitration at a cost. For example, a tiler or trade subscribes, a customer is legally obliged to pay or if they believe the work is sub standard has the right to consult the governing body but to do so must put the full or remaining cost of the work into a fund. The arbitration panel then send a surveyor to value the work and then the end result is final.

I appreciate the above is simplying matters some what and would take a lot more working out but in the end:

The customer has faith in who they choose
The trade has faith in that they do a good job they get paid
It would weed out the cowboys if customers were aware it existed as why would they risk there money
The governing body earns interest on the money it holds and from surveys
Even if the trade had to pay the survey costs on some jobs it's better to lose £100 then it is to lose the whole job price.

Just my half drunken thoughts anyway :8:
I would say that it should swing the other way as well - there should be more protection fro the client - The actual costs for us to get back to where we were after our incident is far greater than the sum we paid to the tiler - who it now appears is a probationary member of the TTA!! - There should be an insurance and if found for the client - all costs paid from there and the 'association' then recoups it from the member by what ever means. After all - that sign on the side of the van or on the paper could be more than likely what got them the work.

Just my two penneth worth - I would also never withold payment from any trade - that is not the way it is done. That can become very expensive as you could win in principal but loose because you didn't pay!!

Lawrenso

whitebeam

Staff member
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
Before any job is done it would be nice to have proof that the monies are available to pay for the work.

Reply to prof tiler body? in the Associations Related to the Tile Industry area at TilersForums.com

Which adhesive did you use most this year?

• Tilemaster

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Mapei

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Ultra

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Weber

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Bal

• Kerakoll

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Ardex

• Rocotex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palace

• Granfix

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sovereign

• Dunlop

• Laticrete

• Bostick

• Norcross

• Larsen

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Isomat

• Biscem

• Profix

• PCI

• Benfer

• Brit Adhesive

• Python

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Butech

Find a Tiler (New Entries)

Top Bottom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks