Discuss Problem With Yellowing Bal Grout in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KJS77

Hi all, I did a bathroom about 10 months ago with white gloss wall tiles and Webber anti mould grout, the grout has now gone a dirty yellow colour on all four walls, even over the door which is nowhere near the shower.

The walls were all either new plasterboard or solid plaster.

This is so dissapointing as its ruined the bathroom for my customer, I used white webber powdered adhesive and left it days before grouting, the water used was clean etc.

I never had this problem before, she dosn't have a fan in the bathroom but this dosn't appear to be mildew issue, just uniform yellowing. :mad2:

Any ideas??
Hello,

I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in sections! It looks like water stains! I called BAL the grout company and a technician agreed to come and have a look. He said it was a bacteria growth due to the fresh plaster behind the tiles pulling the water out of the grout. He said i need to buy a cement residue remover and scrub the grout with a white scourer not a green one!! You can buy both from ToppsTiles for less than £15. He said it would 100% remover the yellow staining. I am yet to try it but when i do i will update you. Fingers crossed it works as i am disheartened with it all now :-( Wish me luck :)

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in sections! It looks like water stains! I called BAL the grout company and a technician agreed to come and have a look. He said it was a bacteria growth due to the fresh plaster behind the tiles pulling the water out of the grout. He said i need to buy a cement residue remover and scrub the grout with a white scourer not a green one!! You can buy both from ToppsTiles for less than £15. He said it would 100% remover the yellow staining. I am yet to try it but when i do i will update you. Fingers crossed it works as i am disheartened with it all now :-( Wish me luck :)
Did you use tubbed/bucket adhesive. ?

K

KJS77

Bad news i'm afraid Erika!!! Tried the grout residue remover and no joy! Had to buy a grout removing tool and took 5hrs to remove the first few mm of grout. If yophoteu take this option you will need ear defenders, dust mask and googles! Very loud and bits flick in your face!!! My hands were still vibrating for an hour after use!!! Ive re applied new grout and so far touch wood all is white and bright! What a nightmare and waste if a day!! I hope you have better luck. My advise would be to start again like me as no solution is strong enough. Keep me posted ;-)

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know I'm to late here, but if the stain was an organic bacteria, you possibly needed to test a mildew remover not an acidic product. Perhaps you tried? Just thought I would comment if it comes up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad news i'm afraid Erika!!! Tried the grout residue remover and no joy! Had to buy a grout removing tool and took 5hrs to remove the first few mm of grout. If yophoteu take this option you will need ear defenders, dust mask and googles! Very loud and bits flick in your face!!! My hands were still vibrating for an hour after use!!! Ive re applied new grout and so far touch wood all is white and bright! What a nightmare and waste if a day!! I hope you have better luck. My advise would be to start again like me as no solution is strong enough. Keep me posted ;-)
Turns out Erika was a spammer trying to get links to some window cleaning website. They've been banned and their post removed.

Reply to Problem With Yellowing Bal Grout in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks