Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Problem with white silicon seal - parts of it have turned pink! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Can anyone on this forum please help? Part of the beautiful white silicon seal around my bath has turned pink! Can anyone suggest what I could do to remedy this, short of replacing the seal (which I'm loathe to do since its only 2 months old). Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

OP
B

bayswater-rose

Hi Macten,
Thanks for your suggestion for using diluted bleach on the silicon. What concentration do you reckon that I should use, and should I rinse it off afterwards? Best wishes, Bayswater-rose

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Might be worthwhile checking how well it's doing with a smoke match. You can get these from pretty much any DIY store or plumbing supplier.
Might have to bite the bullet, invest in a good quality sealant and redo it. Ensure it contains Microban as Mr Benton suggested.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So long as your tiles aren't acid sensitive (natural stone) then I would rub some neat bleach on to it, let it dwell for 5 mins and then rinse off well. I doubt it will touch it to be honest (certainly doesn't work on shower screen seals) but neat bleach gets my silicone looking like new if it's looking as bit dull. If you have no joy then get the builders to remove and replace with a good quality sanitary silicone with anti-mould properties like BAL or Mapei. Don't let the builders smooth it in with spit on their finger - this can impregnate the bead with bacteria that will then bloom from the inside out. Not having a window can really make it more difficult to control - extractors can only do so much and soon get overwhelmed. Problem with bacterias and moulds in bathrooms is that they live off the phosphates found in soap and the bodyfats that the soaps/shower gels remove off you. If you have a radiator in the bathroom then make sure it's on as the real problem is when the water vapour condenses on cold surfaces leaving puddles.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
................Don't let the builders smooth it in with spit on their finger - this can impregnate the bead with bacteria that will then bloom from the inside out...........

It's suprising how the simplest of steps/methods or practice can prevent problems. Hands are tools too, keep tools clean!

OP
S

scientist

Serratia Marcescens!
It's actually an airbourne bacterium but because this bacteria contains mould it is common in bathrooms. I would try diluted bleach on the silicone or remove. Often see it on shower screen seals - they turn pink and you have to replace them.
This bacteria does not contain mold.

OP
S

scientist

Cheers Allister,

See it all the time when I'm ripping out customers' bathrooms - there is a mould out there that is a pale pink but the real bright pink stuff that looks like it wouldn't appear naturally is the bacteria. To be honest I think the only solution is to remove and reseal with bal or mapei silicone. I have to change my shower screen seals every year due to the dreaded pink but my silicone is fine. Only tip is keep window open and extractor on during and after shower and get in the habit of wiping down when you're done.
Opening windows may be letting in bacteria from outside. Follow the cleaning protocols and rinse and dry shower after each use. Yes, leave the exhaust fan on. You can turn on a cordless fan, like a Ryobi fan, in there for a couple of hours and the shower stall will really be dry!

Reply to Problem with white silicon seal - parts of it have turned pink! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock