Discuss Problem with white silicon seal - parts of it have turned pink! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bayswater-rose

Can anyone on this forum please help? Part of the beautiful white silicon seal around my bath has turned pink! Can anyone suggest what I could do to remedy this, short of replacing the seal (which I'm loathe to do since its only 2 months old). Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

G

Gazzer

Apart from trying to clean it there is not much else other than replace it. the question being why it has changed colour....shower gels are the most common culprits.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Or temporary pink hair dye like my other half has managed to stain our en-suite shower tray with!

B

bayswater-rose

Thanks for your speedy reply - its much appreciated! I was wondering what I should try using to clean it with - e.g. white vinegar, chlorine bleach, diluted baby steriliser etc etc? A posting I read on an American website suggested using "oyxgen bleach". (I'm not familiar with this product but the pharmasist in my local independent chemist thought that this might be "hydrogen peroxide".) Best wishes, Rose

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was a silicone with Microban used or was just a cheap option?

B

bayswater-rose

Thanks for your speedy reply. I'm sure that the guy who installed it used a good quality silicon sealant with microban so I don't think that its mould. Do you have any suggestions of what may be useful for cleaning it with?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I've had a yellow colour come through a white sealant (Dow Corning i think). Turned out to be a bit of tile adhesive i'd missed cleaning up behind the sealant.

S

Stef

Hi, Are the first row of tiles on your bath cuts?

Reason i ask is i have used a pink pen to mark tiles before & it wasnt cleaned properly & it showed through the silicone, just a thought.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if it has stained im not sure anythign will move it...not a big job re siliconing maybe worth just re doing it

B

bayswater-rose

Thanks so much - your advice is really appreciated! When I first noticed this staining I got really depressed but I think that I'm going to take your advice and ask my builder to re-do if I can't find a wonder product to shift the stain. So far I've tried white vinegar and bar keepers friend (which works wonders shifting stains from Corian). I was going to "oxygen bleach" - recommended on an American webpage I visited.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Serratia Marcescens!
It's actually an airbourne bacterium but because this bacteria contains mould it is common in bathrooms. I would try diluted bleach on the silicone or remove. Often see it on shower screen seals - they turn pink and you have to replace them.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Serratia Marcescens!
It's actually an airbourne bacterium but because this bacteria contains mould it is common in bathrooms. I would try diluted bleach on the silicone or remove. Often see it on shower screen seals - they turn pink and you have to replace them.

Spot on it seems! I just looked this up and it seems to fit the description perfectly. Here's a link to what wiki had to say:

Serratia marcescens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good job Macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers Allister,

See it all the time when I'm ripping out customers' bathrooms - there is a mould out there that is a pale pink but the real bright pink stuff that looks like it wouldn't appear naturally is the bacteria. To be honest I think the only solution is to remove and reseal with bal or mapei silicone. I have to change my shower screen seals every year due to the dreaded pink but my silicone is fine. Only tip is keep window open and extractor on during and after shower and get in the habit of wiping down when you're done.

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I read that it likes bathrooms for the damp conditions. Bayswater-rose, do you have any extraction in your bathroom? Might help to get one installed if you haven't maybe?

B

bayswater-rose

Hi Macten, Thanks so much for your advice on this problem - its really appreciated. I have an extractor fan in my bathroom since there's no window and building regs stipulated that I have one (I live in a leasehold property) and I generally wipe down after every time I use the bath/shower. Best wishes, Bayswater-rose

Reply to Problem with white silicon seal - parts of it have turned pink! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks