Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Pro tiler has washout the grey I grout in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

We have just recently had a 30sqm bathroom tile job completed a and the tile itself is to a very high standard. Unfortunately the grout is very grey and very patchy all over, between deep grey, mid grey and very light. It's a BAL grout and as soon as I saw it I thought the colour has been washed out due to over washing.

Before I call him back what are my options?

Many thanks

Bill

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Dave

Sorry for the delayed response, I wanted to give the tiler a chance to respond. Called last week, he called back right away and said he would call this week for a site visit, yet to happen. He seems like a good guy but I have no idea how this can be rectified.

Please see pictures below, it is far more obvious in person and to be fair I am just so disappointed having spent so much money for the tiles and especially the tiler. I have done plenty of tile before DIY but I simply did not have the time so got someone in, as soon as I saw it I thought too much water and the colour has been washed out.

The grout also seems quite soft, not putty soft but use your fingernail to scrape and having dust on your finger soft. I have personally always use Mapei and I am used to grout drying rock solid and a consistent colour.

Am I being over sensitive?

Thanks

B

Attachments

• IMG-20210714-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0003.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20210714-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20210714-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0004.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20210714-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0002.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20210714-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0000.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Hello, Sid The Tiler here ,this is a sure sign the grout hasn’t been mixed properly, grouts now have so many additives that they need mixing with a whisk in a drill to blend all the chemicals and colour pigments

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been looking bat potential solutions to at least get to a consistent colour, I noticed grout colourants on the market. As these snake oil or a potential product that could be used. I note I cannot find a colourant by any of the big brands.

Can anyone recommend a product and has anyone had any experience using it in a wet room.

Many thanks

James

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above it could be to much washing ? , or to much water added to the grout ? , poor mixing ? but as you say it's a real shame as the tile is very good, if its soft then I'd say its a weak mixed grout .
There are grout sealers that could potentially blend the colour more evenly but they will not harden the grout , really it what your prepared to accept ,

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi all

We have just recently had a 30sqm bathroom tile job completed a and the tile itself is to a very high standard. Unfortunately the grout is very grey and very patchy all over, between deep grey, mid grey and very light. It's a BAL grout and as soon as I saw it I thought the colour has been washed out due to over washing.

Before I call him back what are my options?

Many thanks

Bill
You are right it's probably been overwashed !! But also could be from mixing of grout using different amounts of water each mix !but really by sound of it over washed

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I got the time yesterday to make up a small mix from the left over grout. I used exactly 5:1 by weight and some testing.

After 24 hours or drying time let's play spot the difference.

I don't really want to mess around with colourants as this is a wetroom and my concern is that a colourant won't be up to the job of every day soakings. Does anyone have any experience of colourant in a wetroom?

I have just gut out a 50mm section of grout under where the toilet is going to go with a Stanley knife, I was supprised how easily it came out so I am heading towards cut out and regrout.

The muretto tiles are my big concern, very detailed with JACKOBOARD behind which has all been tanked but will have no resistance to a multi cutter if it went all the way through.

Please let me know your thoughts before I ask which way I want it.

Thank you

B

IMG_20210725_071059.jpg

Reply to Pro tiler has washout the grey I grout in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock