Discuss Priming and tanking - various surfaces in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all - we’re doing a bathroom refit and have some questions on best practices for tanking (we’ve bought the Mapei Aquadefense product, but the instructions are as clear as mud):

(1) we’ve got plywood floor, onto which vinyl will be laid. Does this need tanking? If so, should it be primed first (and if so, will Primer G work)?

(2) we’ve got a brick wall with a layer of plaster on it but it hasn’t been skimmed (see photo). This is behind the bath, and will be getting the brunt of the water from the over bath shower. We will rank this, but does it need priming first (and if so, will Primer G work)?

(3) the wall that the shower head itself is on is Wickes AquaPanels. Does that need tanking as well? And priming with Primer G?

(4) the other walls are skimmed plaster board onto which we will be laying 100 x 300 ceramic tiles. This includes a bit of wall at the foot of the bath (away from the shower end) and by the basin. Does this all need tanking too (and priming)?

Many thanks in advance!!

Andy

Attachments

• EDC24471-9041-448D-9DF8-9F47D330D84A.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
1: vinyl will suffice. ( glued ).
2: Not suitable to tank or tile to as it is.
3: fine as it is but needs to be treated as a wetroom regarding transition joints.
4: only needs tanking in immediate wet areas.
Thanks Dave that’s great. What should we do with (2)? Fix more Aquapanel to it? And if so, would we fix the Aquapanel using tile adhesive rather than screws?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adhesive and screws. 👍
Nice one, that’s really helpful thank you - I’ve just been reading the AquaPanel technical sheets which validate your advice 😀 One question though - do you put the wall plugs through the panel and into the wall? That’s what the instructions suggest but it’s a method I’ve not used before.

Also, there is a window on that wall, so I presume we should panel all round the window too.

Reaction score
When in doubt, use primer, it never hurts. As for plugs through boards, I would tank the holes then add a pea size amount of silicon just before driving the screws in.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Nice one, that’s really helpful thank you - I’ve just been reading the AquaPanel technical sheets which validate your advice 😀 One question though - do you put the wall plugs through the panel and into the wall? That’s what the instructions suggest but it’s a method I’ve not used before.

Also, there is a window on that wall, so I presume we should panel all round the window too.
Yes through into the brick.

Reply to Priming and tanking - various surfaces in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks