Discuss Priming a Painted wall? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

BigDan

Hi guys

This has probably already been covered but could you recommend a primer? to go directly onto a painted wall prior to tiling? can i use a basic builders one? and what mix would i need?

the room is a en suite with a shower cubicle in it. The walls have several layers of paint on them. I was oblivious to the need for primer! - but my mate mentioned that i 'would need to PVA the walls first' so any help would be most welcome! Many thanks Dan

I

Ian

Afternoon Dan, you'll need to get that paint off mate. A paint steamer and a scraper is the best method. When you are back down to plaster, prime the walls with an acrylic primer, PVA is not suitable for priming prior to tiling. As an alternative, if the walls are plasterboard you could remove them and replace or overboard them, either way don't be tempted to tile over the paint as that is all that will be holding your tiles to the wall.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above, don't be tempted to tile over the paint and regardless of what your mate says don't use PVA, it need to be an acrylic primer or you'll have problems

B

BigDan

Thanks Guys i will strip back the paint and prime! Can you recommend a primer to use with maipei adhesive? will a general acrylic primer do the job?

Many thanks

Reply to Priming a Painted wall? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks