Discuss Preparing floor for tiling after relocating plumbing in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

pzif

TF
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am desperately trying to come up with an idea how to repair bathroom and kitchen floor. Floor slab on the ground floor in our house was constructed 10 years ago, finished with 4cm screed and prepared for tiles/hardwood flooring. We only had our windows installed and it was like that since. Few days ago we had our kitchen and bathroom plumbing relocated (kitchen sink moved from one wall to another, tub plumbing converted into a shower etc.). They hammered the floors and walls pretty hard, going under the concrete slab in the kitchen to lay the pipe across the kitchen and through the facade outside. Screed cracked around the slits here and there.

I assume that all the layers and insulation (RC slab, membrane, styrofoam etc.) cannot be repaired like they used to be, unless I have both rooms completely hammered down and a new screed poured. My initial thought was to put fine sand under the floor pipes to make a proper bedding. Then pouring concrete with added 'Sika-1 waterproofing admixture' and finishing with a new layer of screed to match the existing level. Both kitchen and bathroom are going to have 60x60 tiles, 9 or 10mm thick. Is this idea even remotely acceptable? I am worried about those cracks around the slit, they feel loose when stepped on and I assume I should remove all the cracked pieces before pouring anything.

I have attached the pictures of the kitchen slit and the future shower drain. Any help is much appreciated! English is not my mother tongue, please excuse any errors on my part. Thanks!

Bathroom
Bathroom1.JPG

Kitchen
Kitchen 1.JPG Kitchen 2.jpg Kitchen 3.jpg

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All cracked loose surface material will need removing, the pipework trenches need making good and a you say filled to just above the pipework with builders sand and tamper down then make good with a good sand a cement screed with SBR added, your tiler will take it from there . Kop

Reply to Preparing floor for tiling after relocating plumbing in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks