Discuss Preparing bath timber frame for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

adam.elemental

Hello (1st post!)

I'm in the process of redoing my bathroom, and decided I'd like to have a tiled bath panel. The problem is - there is already a 2x2 timber frame there, which leaves less than 1cm between it and the edge of the bath. Previously there was a thin sheet of mdf as a bath panel.

I was planning to use Aquapanel or HardieBacker but, as the 6mm stuff can bend a bit, I should probably use the thicker 12.5mm - but then it will stick out further than the bath edge even before tiling!!

My question is - would be it be ok to use the 6mm stuff? There will be one removable access panel for the taps so that is the only bit that will ever move. Redoing the timber frame would be a painful and time-consuming option, and it would have to be done with say 1.5x2 lengths, plus there are metal supports that would get in the way....

Any help much appreciated!!

Cheers
Adam

B

bigandy

OW DO AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
Hi there was a thread on here yesterday i will try and find it for you now. Could you ot reinforce the existing battens with some more timber? So to provide extra securing points for the hardibacker thus reducing it's ability to move?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bigandy

HOW ABOUT THIS FOR A SECOND OPTION? ASWELL AS THE REINFORCEMENT......Hardibacker type boards are good for bath panels to be tiled....

And this product from schluter is good for hidden access panels....

Schlüter®-REMA
spacer.gif
11-01_REMA.jpg

REMA_installation_140x140.jpg
spacer.gif

M

MICK the Tiler

You might have to move it back to allow for board and tile thickness. Or you could build it out like the one in the pic below.

Attachments

• FIL9722.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 89
A

adam.elemental

HOW ABOUT THIS FOR A SECOND OPTION? ASWELL AS THE REINFORCEMENT......Hardibacker type boards are good for bath panels to be tiled....

And this product from schluter is good for hidden access panels....

Schlüter®-REMA
spacer.gif
11-01_REMA.jpg

REMA_installation_140x140.jpg
spacer.gif

Thanks - I did see a thread the other day with that product, might have to get one (or use those neat silver screws).
I think the simplest route would be to reinforce the frame and then use the 6mm backer board. Then there would only be a 2-3mm difference between the tiles and the bath edge. Just tested it with 2 tiles and it should look ok. Its a very small bathroom so building it out would make it even smaller!!

Thanks everyone for the replies, didnt expect em so quick. Cheers!!

C

cornish_crofter

You could change the 2x2 to 2x1.5. That would allow you to use 12.5mm hardibacker, then your tiles wouldn't protrude beyond your bath.

A bit more work, yes but worth it for the quality of the job?

A

adam.elemental

You could change the 2x2 to 2x1.5. That would allow you to use 12.5mm hardibacker, then your tiles wouldn't protrude beyond your bath.

A bit more work, yes but worth it for the quality of the job?

Yep - thanks, that was the little kick I needed... I went ahead and got some new bits of wood, ripped out the old frame and put in my new one (I used 1x2). Wasnt so bad - half a days work just for the frame, finishing putting in the rest of the aquapanel today. I'm gonna make an access panel once I start tiling.

Thanks people!

Reply to Preparing bath timber frame for tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks