Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Preparing a thermoplastic tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

RDG91

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance!

A little info:
I've just moved into a 1950's bungalow and have got 3 rooms plus a hallway which appear to have the red/brown thermoplastic floor tiles laid with a bitumen https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Just from a bit of internet searching it's fairly safe to assume that these tiles do contain asbestos.

All areas were carpeted, I have already taken the carpet up in 1 room plus the hallway which we want to replace with tile. The other 2 rooms we intend on having carpet laid but I guess a similar principle applies for the prep.

Basically, the carpet gripper in the 1st of the rooms is very old and needs to be lifted. I have removed the length of 2 walls and am finding that the tiles are just crumbling (no other sections are broken or showing signs of cracking) and whilst I've removed the grippers I have been wearing a suitable mask, gloves and spraying the areas with water before lifting the gripper to minimise dust particles mixing in the air.

Anyway, once I am finished, I am going to have a room with broken tiles around the perimeter (I will remove all of the loose parts) and want to find out the best way to a) level the floor so that I can then tile over the esixting floor and b) level the floor so that new grippers can be installed although I appreciate I will need to seek advice on another forum for that.

So really, my question is, what is the best way to do it? I've listed my thought process below:

1. Sweep up the damp broken fragments of tile and bag them approproately for disposal at the local tip.
  2. Wait until the edges are fully dry and remove any loose dust with a HEPA vacuum.
  3. Seal the areas with PVA
  4. Pour a flexible levelling compound over to bring the floor back level with the rest of the tiles rather than add a covering on the whole floor.
I'd appreciate someone telling me if I'm along the right lines or if I need to take a whole new approach although my preferred method does not involve removing them altogether!

Thanks.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, you will find that those will be loose and not suitable to fix to or level over, they will need to come up for that method... alternatively you could use a loose lay crack matting like bal flexbone.

Reply to Preparing a thermoplastic tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock