Discuss Preparation of bitumin floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jafeica

TF
Reaction score
im going to tile over a solid floor which has a thick layer of bitchumin over concrete. House probably built in the fifties. Tiles are porcelain my question is - What is the best method to prime or prepare the surface for tiling. Will be using topps own standard set addy

Q

Qwerty

Remove any large deposits with a scraper and then prime with a SBR/ cement slurry or use a grit primer (prime & grip or eco prim grip)
Any pics?

D

Dumbo

Are you sure it is bitumen .
I've worked in ex council houses that had a red resin type floor down , I'm sure someone on here will know what that was, I can't remember the name ,

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At 20mm built in the 50s be careful as it could be magnesite. These were often red, green or black and they will not take a tile adhesive or slurry. A quick easy test would be to use an electric damp meter like the ones used for testing rising damp. If its magnesite the moisture reading will be very high or off the scale

O

On one

Is the colour of the floor black black(bitumin) or a deep burgundy (black pudding) colour?
I used to live in a 50's house, where the whole ground floor was supposedly levelled with a 20mm burgundy coloured coating, matt in colour.

O

Old Mod

Is the colour of the floor black black(bitumin) or a deep burgundy (black pudding) colour?
I used to live in a 50's house, where the whole ground floor was supposedly levelled with a 20mm burgundy coloured coating, matt in colour.
That’s called ‘Magnasite’ and is a banned substance now.
It soaks up water like a sponge.
They also used to use all manner of fillers in the product.
The most dangerous of all was asbestos.
It should be removed before work commences.

J

Just Rizzle

try reading up on BAL FLEX BONE if the floor is flat and smooth just lay over and tile

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Haha I’ve just seen Alan’s post :)
Twice is better than none at all... at least that's what my Mrs says... magnesite was dreadful stuff though. Still an awful lot of it out there. It was mainly used in council houses....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
try reading up on BAL FLEX BONE if the floor is flat and smooth just lay over and tile
That's a good point Ray. Would be interesting to see if they would recomend it over magnesite. Cant see why not...

Reply to Preparation of bitumin floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks