Discuss Preparation for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, I’ve found this forum very useful for past tiling projects on a DIY basis. But this job is far to big for me to attempt.

I’m after a little advice prior to the pros turning up to quote.

We’ve had a full overboard underfloor heating system fitted and is currently fully commissioned and pressured. The system has been fully tested and gradually bought to heat but is now on anti frost mode.

We want 100sqm of a large open plan space tiling. But even though the overboard system states you can seal and tile directly on top with a s2 adhesive. I’m not so sure!

Can anyone recommend the right way to go about getting it tiled (800x800 porcelain) and what warning signs I should look out for from the tilers giving quotes.

Thanks in advance.

2A9FDCCB-0489-4FC1-8B40-728C5BC1D459.jpeg

114AB713-21EA-4442-9D9D-6A924164DBB4.jpeg

003B4BC4-7A8D-484A-8D09-CB961BE04528.jpeg

2B6B8405-7AD0-479A-98AE-904DE76A8A85.jpeg

CC086103-F7F2-42C3-884F-05C07D559016.jpeg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately you will get different advice , from pros and from manufacturers .
I’ve tiled hundreds of m2 straight into poly pipe flooring , just primed and tiled away .
Some say Matt, some say SLC before tiling , personally, I wouldn’t SLC over it, I would Matt it with the brilliant tilemaster matting or one similar, it’s grwat stuff, and only around 1mm think :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Reaction score
On another note, what’s the substrate underneath? And looking at the boards how are they fixed ?
Thanks @widler
The central section is suspended timber floor, I went around and screwed all the floor boards down prior to them coming. They glued the boards down with a big canister of glue, like a spray gun.
The rest of the floor is insulated concrete slab.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks @widler
The central section is suspended timber floor, I went around and screwed all the floor boards down prior to them coming. They glued the boards down with a big canister of glue, like a spray gun.
The rest of the floor is insulated concrete slab.
I’d be tempted to wop a few screws in as well , I hunk they tell you it’s not needed, but I always have done

F

Flintstone

I would find out what the tiler proposes to do and what materials they propose to use. I would suggest you get a spec from the adhesive company on how to deal with this floor

Reaction score
I’d be tempted to wop a few screws in as well , I hunk they tell you it’s not needed, but I always have done

Not a bad idea to be fair. Nothing underneath I can go into so worth it! Can use those big wetroom washers.

@Localtiler as in get in touch with the adhesive manufacturer the tiler says he’s going to use and confirm the steps he’s going to take.

I suppose it’s very hard to verify if a tiler will do a good job, there’s a major shortage where we are and I’m finding it hard to get anyone round to quote.

Reaction score
Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a rigid cellular plastic, which is found in a multitude of shapes and applications. It is used for fish boxes, packaging for electrical consumer goods and for insulation panels for building.

Thats a yes then.
I would not tile directly to that, Speak to Ardex or Bal and get their advise.

Reaction score
Also dont take the advise of tile shop jockeys, there is a lot to take into account with UFH, Large format porcelain, large areas ect, adhesives will state that you can use them for any one of the situations, but not necessarily all of them at the same time. Shocking I know. Speak directly to the technical departments and leave no details out. Its a very expensive mistake that one.

Pauly

Reaction score
Also dont take the advise of tile shop jockeys, there is a lot to take into account with UFH, Large format porcelain, large areas ect, adhesives will state that you can use them for any one of the situations, but not necessarily all of them at the same time. Shocking I know. Speak directly to the technical departments and leave no details out. Its a very expensive mistake that one.

Pauly

Thanks Pauly

It’s one of those situations where I’m close to overboarding everything in ply and getting the vinyl tile guys in!

Minefield!

But I think from the reading ive done on here, I’m going to want specifying and overmatting system and the correct flex adhesives and grounds. Then I’ll probably come back here with a list to triple check.

The underfloor guys said theve done loads with s2 adhesive into all the voids as a leveller and then the normal notched s2 adhesive on top. Priming with an acrylic primer first.

I suppose everyone has their own way of doing things. It’s the couple of years down the line with cracked tiles I’m trying to avoid. Especially with the cost of the 80sqm.

Reaction score
Dont write it off just yet, whatever goes on there unless its engineered timber, the ares will need prep. My first instinct was along the lines of:-
laying a webber mesh over the floor.
Then priming with 360
Then 10mm of Webber floor flex.
Then tile.
I would have run it past the tech dpt first mind.
Could be wrong but I would look at it.
Looks like a Webber advert I know, but I do like floor flex.

Reply to Preparation for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks