Discuss Poured concrete screed preparation in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a floor tiling job coming up that is a poured concrete screed over piped underfloor heating. The screed has been down for many months (completely cured and underfloor heating has been ticking over on low). My issue is that the surface is quite smooth with a light sheen. Would this need to be mechanically abraded prior to laying a decoupling membrane? Can't find anything on surface preparation for poured concrete screeds. Will this be the same as surface laitance on a anhydrate screed? Or is this just the surface finish (similar to levelling compound)? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated 👍

Reaction score
Sometimes its the curing agent that gives it that shine. I always get them sanded to be 100% sure of a good bond.
It’s called laitance: a weak surface layer that results from a poorly mixed (weak and watery) cementituous or calcium sulphate subfloors.
It’ll be flaky and easily lifted/scraped into by a sharp blade or strong tape. This should not under any circumstances be tiled onto without mechanical abrasion to remove such a layer prior to priming and tiling.

All advertising can be removed by subscribing.
This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.
Reaction score
Sometimes its the curing agent that gives it that shine. I always get them sanded to be 100% sure of a good bond.
Hi Dave,
I’m fairly sure that laitance (fines found on the surface) is a deposit that forms when too much water is added to a screed mix. The screed companies want to save costs and make it as weak as possible. Water is cheaper than bags of product after all.
I’ve seen some total sh*T screeds in my time.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I’m fairly sure that laitance (fines found on the surface) is a deposit that forms when too much water is added to a screed mix. The screed companies want to save costs and make it as weak as possible. Water is cheaper than bags of product after all.
I’ve seen some total sh*T screeds in my time.
On the Agila screeds ( cement based ) a curing agent is sprayed on. The newer ones have it inbuilt now. The buggers keeps changing bloody things each yr.

All advertising can be removed by subscribing.
This ad should no cover content, please click this contact us with a screen print if it does.

Reply to Poured concrete screed preparation in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com