Discuss Post tiling issues with finish in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
Hi all.
Looking for some input and advice.
Recently had master bath tiled and now working on ensuite.
We are the plumbers and have used our Tiler.
Customer not happy with finish of dark grey matt porcelain tiles as they are water marking, have striations and don't have a uniform look when dried.
Supplier is pointing finger at the Tiler and has issued her with wax-off, deep clean and grout removal chemicals (Lithofin). We spent yesterday using the grout remover and while there was some residue which came off, there is still unevenness with the dried finish.
Is the supplier trying to pass off a poor product or are there things we can do to satisfy the customer?
My take, from my experience, is I don't trust the tile.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Deano.

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
Everyone is going to ask for photos . . .

Yeah. Lol. I always ask the same on DIYnot.com.

Ill go up and try and capture some now...
[automerge]1570091346[/automerge]
Hope these show the issue.
Bathroom has been used this morning.
IMG_20191003_092721.jpg
IMG_20191003_092727.jpg
IMG_20191003_092740.jpg
IMG_20191003_092715.jpg

D

Dumbo

Have you got a spare tile that hasn't been used and conducted any water tests our grout cleaner reactions on it .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Who's done this again?

1570093827717.png

Grout around the end of the bath instead of cutting the tile to the right shape?

That's not a professional tiler lol

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Looks like polymer residue to me , wax off won’t remove it.
You need a stronger product.
Try lithofin cement away to break it down , try on an inconspicuous area first and watch the enamel works.

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
Try lithofin cement away to break it down , try on an inconspicuous area first and watch the enamel works.

Thanks for the reply.
What would the polymer residue be from? Is this from the manufacturing process or left over from grouting not being carried out correctly?

We applied this stuff yesterday. Firstly at a 1:10 ratio and then neat (carefully) with plenty of rinsing to keep away from chrome and enamels.

IMG_20191003_130813.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
What would the polymer residue be from? Is this from the manufacturing process or left over from grouting not being carried out correctly?

We applied this stuff yesterday. Firstly at a 1:10 ratio and then neat (carefully) with plenty of rinsing to keep away from chrome and enamels.

View attachment 110129

The residue is grout film with polymer residue also within it , it is basically from not washing off early enough and changing water regularly to avoid excessive residue drying on the surface.
If the KF isn’t shifting it then upgrade to cement away , it’s very strong so go careful.
Also you need to use a scotch pad so the slight abrasion from pad helps remove the residue.
Start with diluted product as per instructions and then increase strength till you find a mix ratio that works.

P.s... have a quiet word with your tiler for future jobs 😁

J

J Sid

Dave, cement away is acid based and is for external use only.
I would try lithofin power clean as my first choice

Reply to Post tiling issues with finish in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks