Discuss Possible to re-use GLASROC Tile Backer Board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JLammy

-
Reaction score
I've just started the process of removing the old tiles from my new build house, and it looks like they've used GLASROC Tile Backer Board as the base.

As expected, whilst removing the tiles, it's taken off the yellow layer long with it. Do I need to replace the whole board with a new one? Or can it be re-used? I was planning to use a tanking kit before the new tiles go up.

New tiles are the Wickes Callika 600 x 300 tiles.

Photos of the wall attached...

Attachments

• IMG_7478.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7476.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 21

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would replace it with new.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would say a must as the original surface is damaged.

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Having just looked up the Glasroc board, it says that

"The yellow pre-primed acrylic surface resists water, protecting the background and system, whilst providing an optimum surface key for direct tiling or decoration"

Doesn't that just mean it's just the primer that has come off?

JLammy

-
Reaction score
I've just spoken to British Gypsum Technical Support about this and they have confirmed that the yellow layer is indeed just the waterproof primer coating, and if I am using a tanking kit over it, it'll still perform well as a tile backer board and be fine. As long as there aren't any holes or chunks missing of course.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Will the tanking solution adhere to the substrate beneath the yellow backing? I don't know.
Will the substrate be nice and flat to tile to? (like a new backerboard). You are using big enough tiles so a degree of bumpiness would be ok.
Old tiles on a new build house??? Didn't you like the tiles then?

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Will the tanking solution adhere to the substrate beneath the yellow backing? I don't know.
Will the substrate be nice and flat to tile to? (like a new backerboard). You are using big enough tiles so a degree of bumpiness would be ok.
Old tiles on a new build house??? Didn't you like the tiles then?

I'll be using the tilemaster tanking kit, but whether it'll adhere to it well... I will soon find out. The tiler I am using has said it'll be fine though.

The adhesive comes off quite nicely and should leave a flat surface, so I can only assume it will be ok.

There was only a small section of the ensuite that was tiled (around the small shower tray), I'll be tiling the whole ensuite instead. And those creamy/beige coloured tiles are painful to my eyes unfortunately!

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the update regarding the board.
@Glynn should be able to help you with the tanking liquid sticking.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
For the sake of less than £20 for new gyproc I'd be replacing it. As would any other fitter or tiler but I'm sure that's the answer you looked for originally anyway. You will be making your life a lot easier by replacing it also

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Well, I decided to follow the advice here and tear down the old plasterboard in order to fit in new ones.

Is it worthwhile getting the moisture board if I'm tanking it with the tilemaster kit? Or will standard plasterboard be fine?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I use the Tilemaster kit with standard plasterboard in most cases.
I don’t see the point in spending the extra on moisture resistant when tanking anyway.

T

Time's Ran Out

It’s cost effective to use Wedi/Jackoboard - just tape the joints!
Cost of plasterboard, cost of tanking, time ....
and no chance of paint on system peeling off!

Reply to Possible to re-use GLASROC Tile Backer Board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks