Discuss Porcelian patio & movement joints in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 51481

Hello All, I doubt anyone remembers me on here but I received a lot of helpful advice on an internal project so have returned.

I've now taken on a lockdown project which I'm part way through preparing the substrate for a large porcelain patio that I'm intending on laying myself - yikes. WIP pics attached. Some of the advice from last time was not to take on the internal project so I found a really good tiler who did a fantastic job which was a god send as I would not have met the critical Xmas deadline.

This time round there are different circumstances, minimal budget for materials only, no deadlines due to lockdown and as this job is external, any deviations would be acceptable unlike indoors within a new kitchen extension.

Having taken some advice off here in the past I have opted for the Porcelquick adped system which is basically a series of pedestals that is built up to the required height using a mix of sharp sand & cement and plastic rings. Once the pedestals have been created the tiles should be fixed using a C2 tiling adhesive.

I should also mention I'm using large format 800x400x20mm tiles and I'm not 100% sure on the best way to cut these tiles. I have a large Stihl disc cutter but I'm worried I won't achieve a straight line and I also have a new wet cutter from toolstation (QEP Diamond Wheel Wet Tile Cutter 450W - cutting depth is 23mm) with accompanying porcelain wheel blade which is unused and would prefer to return it for a refund its not deemed suitable.

Support at BAL has recommended the right products to use as follows:
Apply a priming coat of BAL Bond SBR (Diluted 4 parts water to 1 part BAL Bond SBR by volume).
BAL Pourable One tile adhesive which may be applied in bed thicknesses from 3mm to 25mm.

I would welcome any non-partisan advise on the above products and any alternatives too.

They've also mentioned I should install movement joints at 3m intervals but having scanned the net I'm struggling to work out what these are and exactly how to install, thickness, materials etc so any pointers would be really appreciated.

I appreciate this topic might not fit on this forum but unsure where else to go and everyone was super helpful with my internal project at end of 2018.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Tile diagram.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
H

hmtiling

I assume these aren't being grouted, therefore no expansion joints needed.
I'd return that wet saw and get a decent cordless grinder and decent blade. Hold a wet sponge to the back of the blade whilst cutting which will keep dust down and prolong the life of the blade

D

Dumbo

I wouldnt use a pourable adhesive for this , when bal recomended this did you ask if thry are familiar with the adpeds , if you were looking for full coverage on a screed fine , but not for this , any c2ft s1 c2te s1 will be fine for this

D

Deleted member 51481

I assume these aren't being grouted, therefore no expansion joints needed.
I'd return that wet saw and get a decent cordless grinder and decent blade. Hold a wet sponge to the back of the blade whilst cutting which will keep dust down and prolong the life of the blade
Hello, I am grouting so it sounds like an expansion joint is required then?
I'm going to return the wet saw and opt for a dry tile cutter, I've been looking at Rubi and Bellota. Probably overkill for a one-off job but its a large job and I will probably sell it after to recoup investment costs. It needs to be a big enough and powerful enough to cut the 20mm porcelain tiles - the specs for both the Rubi 93 and Bellota 93 claim to have this cutting depth but would welcome any advice, hints or tips.

Reply to Porcelian patio & movement joints in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks