Discuss Porcelain tiles onto bathroom walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I would really appreciate some pro advice please!

8 months ago we had an ensuite bathroom tiled, and despite the original tiler coming recommended nearly all the wall tiles have recently become loose. Needless to say he has not been keen to communicate with us and the whole situation has been quite difficult and costly. Yesterday we took all of them off in a bid to save as many as we could (they are 300 x 600mm porcelain) and saw that they had been attached to the walls with dots of adhesive, it doesn't look like any primer had been put onto the skimmed plaster prior to the adhesive. They came off very easily, leaving discs of adhesive on the tiles, but not one disc stayed on the plaster.

The origional tiler is coming back next week to put them back on but I would really like to know if you think the wall should be primed, and if 'dotting' with adhesive is enough for such a heavy tile? I have no knowledge about tiling at all (though am learning fast!) did a bit of research and found lots of conflicting advice! We originally assumed that the adhesive was out of date, but could it be the lack of primer / not enough adhesive or a combo of both?

Thanks.

G

Gazzer

You are correct in your assumptions. The walls should be primed and adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles spread onto the wall. Also the back of the tile should be back skimmed with the same adhesive, a cement based adhesive. Not ready mixed.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Weight limits are plaster board 32kg/m2, plastered walls 20kg/m2 both inc adhesive.

use a porecelbond adhesive such as Bal.

T

Time's Ran Out

You've been lucky no damage has been done if the tiles came off as easy as you suggest! As per the Sir on this one. Cement based bagged adhesive suitable for Porcelain tiles and prime the plaster with the manufacturers plaster primer. These are large format tiles for walls so do ensure 100% covered of adhesive.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the advice.

I will check the thickness - had no idea that these tiles required extra planning and work! Typically nothing was mentioned when we bought them, and am frustrated that the tiler didnt do it properly the first time...

As far as priming the walls can you please advise me how many days before retiling?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I'd be looking for a professional tiler too, if he's bodged it the first time I wouldn't let him anywhere near it again!

D

Deleted member 9966

I'd be concerned about letting the original tiler back if he was using a dotting method of applying adhesive to the tiles and then sticking them to the walls.

Reply to Porcelain tiles onto bathroom walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks