Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Porcelain tiled kitchen floor - cracking after 2 days in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
L
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Pva is a no no , this so called trader isn’t a tiler and needs to be stopped. The whole job is a bodge.
:-( so frustrating as they have allegedly good reviews (god knows from where though!).

I think i’ve enough input from you all to just cut my losses and accept the whole thing needs re-doing by someone that actually knows what they are doing.

Hands down this has been my worst experience with using a tradesperson.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
:-( so frustrating as they have allegedly good reviews (god knows from where though!).

I think i’ve enough input from you all to just cut my losses and accept the whole thing needs re-doing by someone that actually knows what they are doing.

I’m afraid it happens, make sure you fully check the next tiler or even ask for a tiler in our find a tiler directory.

OP
L
Reaction score
I’m afraid it happens, make sure you fully check the next tiler or even ask for a tiler in our find a tiler directory.

Thank you, will do. Thank you for all your help too - very much appreciated.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
One saving grace is that tiles may well come up without too much difficulty and be able to be cleaned up and re-used. Sorry to see you have had this happen. It's shocking really that people can operate like this. Best of luck with getting it sorted out.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Don't believe all of these trade review sites. It is easy for people to falsify reviews. Try and get a recommendation from friends or family. That way you may be able to see the traders previous work.

Reaction score
I hope so but its not sounding likely is it :-( Definitely no cement board was used. He came the other day to re-lay a couple and did use the correct https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ after
i pointed out he had used a C1F previously (but i’m still having issues with others so will be calling him back). I’m a little worried he may have used the dot and dab technique - I took a pic when he went out for lunch - attached. I’m no expert by any means but there looks to be a big gap to me?

Its not all of it i’m having issues with at the moment (its one section - which I feel was rushed as it was the last bit and he was here until around 7pm as he had another job the next day. ).

Just all a bit of a disaster really. Wondering if I cut my loses and see if I can get someone to fix it (although I don’t have a clue where to start with that).
Hi Lisa,
This sounds bad to me unfortunately. If the sub-floor was not prepared properly to receive tiles (cement board on top of a solid wooden floor) then tile failure will happen.
Perhaps ask for a refund from this person who is not a tiler and call up somebody who is qualified?

Reaction score

Dot n dab is also not acceptable as a means of fixing tiles. It’s used in putting up dry walls and laying outdoor paving slabs, but in tile it’s not acceptable at all.
For tiles to be fixed on a surface, it required the surface to be flat +/- 4mm over 2m as a general rule.
So, if a tiler has built-up your floor using a blob of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, he hasn’t prepared the floor beforehand. He’s created weak voids beneath your tiles which makes them prone to damage.
He should have levelled and made the floor flat using a self-levelling compound prior to tile.

Reaction score
It would do you good to redo all the tiles as it is most probably the issue regarding the wrong kind of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. It would be better if you scrape them when its still soft as it would be much easier.

Reaction score
I've bought myself a bespoke hand painted kitchens, now I have to put tiles on the floor and on the wall to finish my kitchen. The idea is I bought some cheap tiles to put them under the kitchen, you won't see them and you don't use them at all so there is no point to buy an expensive one. But the tiler is sick now and I don't know when he will get better, as I heard he is in covid section so now I am looking for a new tiler, any suggestion for Croydon region?

Reply to Porcelain tiled kitchen floor - cracking after 2 days in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock