Discuss Porcelain split face tiles in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

MC2494

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time posting here so apologies if I end up not giving enough information! So we're currently renovating our bathroom and have already tiled two of the walls ourselves (not very neatly!). We still need to tile the shower area however and I've completely confused myself. We naively bought porcelain split effect tiles to use in the shower area not really thinking about how we'd do it. Now it's time to tile, we're not really sure whether to grout or not. I've attached a link to the tiles that we've bought.

I asked on the webchat whether these tiles can be used in a shower area and whether they need to be grouted. I've been assured they don't need to be grouted, only sealed and as they're porcelain are fine to use in a shower area. Now my question is, how exactly does this work? Do we just use adhesive on the wall (fresh marine plasterboard) and then butt the tiles up together? With the adhesive, do we use the notch or it out smoothly? How big a gap do we leave between the top tile and the ceiling and do we fill it with mastic? How do you seal tiles?? Sorry if I'm being dim!

Reaction score
Definitely grout. Especially if sticking to plasterboard. The board is only waterproof paper with some additives in the gypsum. The walls should have waterproofing before tiling for added safety

Reply to Porcelain split face tiles in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks