Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Porcelain on ufh sand n cement screed in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jas0n

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I’m struggling on finding enough info about porcelain tiles being laid straight on screed with ufh.

The underfloor heating has currently been running for about 6-8 weeks at no more than 20 degrees. A few cracks have appeared over that time.
I was hoping to now uni bond the floor and lay the porcelain tiles straight on the floor.

I have seen a few people on the forum mentioning matting floors first, but I’m wondering if I really need to if the floor has had time to move and crack and also dry out for quite a while.

I would really appreciate someone’s advice who has been in this position

Thanks

Jason

OP
F

Flintstone

How Big and severe are the cracks? What’s the room? how long has the screed been down? How did you turn on the underfloor heating?

OP
J

Jas0n

The cracks are just hairline cracks and probably about 8 of them. It’s a 30m2 room and the screed has been down since the middle of September. The ufh has been running on and off for 6-8 weeks. When it was first turned on the heating engineer had it turned right up for a few hours through the boiler settings without a thermostat and it was baking. Since the stat has been put in, which was a day after the heating engineer done his part, the temp has been set at 18.5 constantly and at occasional times pushed up to 21 degrees

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Jason. You need to increase the temperature of the heating up to maximum for a minimum of 4 days then switch it off for 48 to 72 hours. You should technicaly moisture test but the heating has been on for a while so i would think its dry by now. That will complete the commssioning process. As the screed has cracked I would recommnd the use of uncoupling so,ply to prevent this cracks fro reflecting through the tiles at a later date. It is not something I normally suggest with porcelain unless the screed is unsound. Essentially as it has cracked it's unsound. You could repair the cracks but it' nearly as cheap to put a mat down and that gives you belt and braces.

At this point we usually hear the cry "is it really necessary...its so expensive" . My answer...its cheaper to do it properly now and only do it once than repair it later if it fails.

Unibond PVA is not the correct stuff to use. Use a proper acrylic or SBR primer and a cement based powdered tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/...

OP
J

Jas0n

Thankyou Ajax123 and localtiler. I will go and buy DITRA Matting to put on the floor first. I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case, but I really don’t want to take a chance and make repairs in a few years. Especially it being in my own home it will break my heart.

OP
W

WetSaw

Doesn't have to be Ditra ( even though I'm a Schluter ****..) there are a lot of mats available for a less money.

OP
U

Unused Account 1

Done 2 70 metre floors on new builds for an i surance company as they never used ditra matting ,ufh,

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Done 2 70 metre floors on new builds for an i surance company as they never used ditra matting ,ufh,

As i said. It is not a requirement for porcs but if the screed is unsound it is foolhardy not to use uncoupling. That is what it's designed for. If such a job went to court after a failure whoever decided uncoupling was not needed would lose. Still at least you got some more work out of it eh

Reply to Porcelain on ufh sand n cement screed in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock