Discuss Porcelain on pedestals in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello everyone: I’ve just tiled my patio using 20mm porcelain slabs fitted on slope correcting pedestals. It’s great except… quite a few of the tiles make a stony, ‘creaking’ sound as you walk over them. As if they’re grinding against another tile - which they aren’t. I’ve tried working out why and I simply can’t. Is this a problem anyone knows about and if so, what is going on?? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi Mikey
I just did the same and laid my patio and paths with pedestals and in the most part they are fine, just checking but did your pedestals have the rubber inserts on top of them. Mine were wallbarn pedestals and you had to insert the rubber disc on top of each one before fitting.

Reaction score
Hi Mikey
I just did the same and laid my patio and paths with pedestals and in the most part they are fine, just checking but did your pedestals have the rubber inserts on top of them. Mine were wallbarn pedestals and you had to insert the rubber disc on top of each one before fitting.
Thanks Gavin. Yes, actually I’m using Wallbarns too - various iterations of the “balance” range and I’ve put the rubber mats on top of each. When I first fitted them and adjusted they were perfect - no noise, and all absolutely flush. They are still flush, but over a few days I then get this wretched creaking. It really spoils my enjoyment of the patio so I’d like to correct it. So… your tiles are all perfectly silent to walk on??? Cheers, M

Reaction score
I wouldn't say mine were perfect as there is some slight movement on a few. This is due to my poor installation i think rather than the system but no creaking as you have described.
I didnt use the slope correcting pedestals though just the standard extra variable height type.
I must say that my expectations were not that high so have been pleasantly surprised how good it turned out.
I have also accepted that it is not going to be the same job as having them laid in the traditional way but having no other option i have come to terms with limitations of the system.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say mine were perfect as there is some slight movement on a few. This is due to my poor installation i think rather than the system but no creaking as you have described.
I didnt use the slope correcting pedestals though just the standard extra variable height type.
I must say that my expectations were not that high so have been pleasantly surprised how good it turned out.
I have also accepted that it is not going to be the same job as having them laid in the traditional way but having no other option i have come to terms with limitations of the system.
Ok - useful info. Thanks again G.

Reply to Porcelain on pedestals in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks