Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Poor laying of Victorian tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
D

Dave79

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
93534A78-6088-416C-8062-1F165B426D67.jpeg
Hi, there is no border til in the right, it goes up to the boundary wall. The issue is more the 10mm to 20mm gap between the porch wall and the tiles here. If this is fitted as it it should be, that’s great but if you think it could be fitted tighter, I can speak to the tiler

Reaction score
Sorry Dave but the person who's done that job for you must be auditioning for a the role of the joker in the next Batman movie because it's a disgrace what they have done. I've got a 6 yr old nephew who could have set it out better just a very poor attempt at tile

Reaction score
Personal I have them take it up & start again ,ensure the set it out correctly not some arse hearted attempt & ask them not to let Stevie Wonder near it either

B

Bill

No need to take them all up -

If the layout has been centred then you only need to take up the outer tiles including the last cut white tile. Then replace the last cut white tile with a half white tile then fill in to the wall with a cut from a 6inch black tile as in my example I posted earlier. (ignore the small border detail in my path)

You may have to purchase some 6 inch tiles to match from the same supplier.

Reaction score
Tom saw the picture you posted earlier looks the dogs dangles m8 , Yes I agree with what you are saying,but I'd personal rip it all up and start from scratch because from what I seen in the picture provided they've used the edging on the left hand side of the picture as there starting point

B

Bill

Where the dark grey overlay is, this is where you should cut the 6 inch black tiles in. You can also put the 1 inch border in first to break the lines too.

Path 2.jpg

OP
D

Dave79

TF
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it better to cut the triangular white tiles larger and continue with the smaller black border to fill in the extra 10mm. That way there’s a consistent 150mm border of black tiles. I guess my first question is is the way it’s been done acceptable? I don’t think so so I’ll get him back to refit. He’s very keen to do the grouting as he says it will look better and the grout is also black. I suspect he can’t be bothered to take the tiles up and relay hence his pushing to start grouting.

B

Bill

Wouldn’t it better to cut the triangular white tiles larger and continue with the smaller black border to fill in the extra 10mm. That way there’s a consistent 150mm border of black tiles. I guess my first question is is the way it’s been done acceptable? I don’t think so so I’ll get him back to refit. He’s very keen to do the grouting as he says it will look better and the grout is also black. I suspect he can’t be bothered to take the tiles up and relay hence his pushing to start grouting.
The answer to the 1st q is no ...in my opinion, the 2nd question it is not acceptable and for using black grout - well good luck.

I have given you the best advice on here how to remedy it quickly and neatly.

T

Time's Ran Out

Would still like a picture from the gate to front door before I could give you my even better advice!;)

W

WetSaw

There's people here who will give you the answer but to my untrained eye the border should have been much wider and cut to suit the shape of the wall.

B

Bill

So if you follow my advice about taking up the last white tiles around the edge and replace the half white.... it will look 10 times better. Also.... make the riser to the step all black.

Reply to Poor laying of Victorian tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock