Discuss Polished Poreclain Cloudiness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lagunaII

Hi,

Just had 60 x 30 Italian cream polished porcelain (Barca Marfil) tiles laid on my Hall, and Kitchen floors. The tiles were pre-sealed at manufacturing stage.

Lovely job but one small problem.

In the morning with the daylight shining down the hall through the hall door, you can see a white cloudiness in the centre of most of the tiles.
In the evening with lights turned on, you cannot notice anything and they look fine.

When they were laid they had a layer of transit wax, which I removed with Lithofin 'Wax Off. The Wax off seemed to form a milky type residue which I washed off with clean water.
However when they dried the cloudiness appeared.

Since then I have had various attempts at cleaning:
1. Tried shining with an electric buffer with a soft pad.
2. Tried washing with water containing a small amount of washing up liquid.
3. Tried Lithofin KF Cement residue remover to eliminate possibility of grout.

No joy to any of the above.

At this stage I am wondering if I did not apply enough of the 'Wax Off' when I originally cleaned them, and that some of the wax has now settled on the tile in a cloudy form ?? Is this possible ??

Has anyone ever seen this before, and if so are there any ideas out there as to how I can bring up the shine on these tiles.

Thanks,
LagunaII

N

nudge

Becoming common with the cheep Chinese imports but haven't yet seen it with Italian ( are you sure? ) tiles. The experience here is, if the factory has stuffed up the sealer then they will not be fixed & so the come up. This is when you decide just how bad are they really.

L

lagunaII

Done some research on the net and I think that you could be right....i.e. They appear to be manufactured in China.....Italian writing on the boxes though, which led me to believe that they were Italian !!!!!

So from your comment this looks like it's bad news ???

The tiler from the shop where I bought the tiles is coming to have a look at the weekend, and he says he has a couple of ideas !!! Hopefully he can suggest a solution.

If anyone else has any ideas, experiences of this problem, I would appreciate your comments.

T

Terry Cottar

Buy yourself some Aqua Mix Sealing & Coating remover. Apply some to one tile and leave it to dwell for about 15 minutes do not allow it to dry and agitate it with a white emulsifying pad. Then clean off and then thoroughly rinse and leave to dry. That should work if it does do the rest in small areas by repeating the process. If it doesn't post back and I will give you another step.

tel

Reply to Polished Poreclain Cloudiness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks