Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Polished porcelain ‘haze’ in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

One Day

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hmmm, Porcelanosa used to factory seal ALL of their porcelain. For years it was the only one I cold install without sealing and know it wouldn't stain.
I was told that all polishing opens up pores on porcelain (and stone too) but particularly cheap porcelain would be more prone to open pores than higher grade, denser porcelain.

OP
J
Reaction score
If I’m being honest Impish I think you are potentially right having looked into optical hazing. Had I of known about that I probably wouldn’t have gone polished! These tiles are from Crown Tiles. They were around £30m2 so not the cheapest but no where near the most expensive. It was a toss up between these and similar from Porcelnosa at £50m2. Based on the sample and our budget we decided to go for the cheaper. Perhaps that was the wrong descion!!

T

Time's Ran Out

We did 60+ sq mts of B&Q porcelain about 6 years ago which the client paid £11 a mt. Explained to the client they would need sealing and didn’t cost for it ‘I’ll do that’ he said. Out of all the cream tiles he purchased there was only 1 tile that we couldn’t use - it was on the face of a open window box type packaging and had ingrained dirt in the pores. He sealed 1 room didn’t like the smear it left or the work to polish it up so that was it!

O

Old Mod

When the supplier was questioned, he stated all polished porcelain should be sealed... Which is ********

Errrrm it’s actually true. :)
Either at source or by the installer.
Polishing porcelain opens pores and needs to be re sealed.

The haze is caused during the polishing process.

O

Old Mod

I've laid some off white mechanical polished Porcelanosa from spain.

Errrm a lot of their material is made in Asia, it’s not all made in Spain.
You have to be very vigilant now about the quality.
It’s made in other country’s and is shipped over, then stamped ‘made in where ever’ and then exported again. And is quite legal. Unfortunately.

D

Dumbo

Errrm a lot of their material is made in Asia, it’s not all made in Spain.
You have to be very vigilant now about the quality.
It’s made in other country’s and is shipped over, then stamped ‘made in where ever’ and then exported again. And is quite legal. Unfortunately.
It like our lamb when it's slaughtered in France it magically becomes French , or am I a couple of decades out with that analogy

O

Old Mod

It like our lamb when it's slaughtered in France it magically becomes French , or am I a couple of decades out with that analogy
No, spot on Jerry.
It’s one big con.
The chicken industry in this country is rife with that kind of practise, imported and prepped here, then magically become British chickens.
Can’t remember exact numbers, but millions of chickens are consumed here everyday, what, and you think we breed them all here!
Yeah, course we do. :D

N

NZ_Tiler

Hmmm, Porcelanosa used to factory seal ALL of their porcelain. For years it was the only one I cold install without sealing and know it wouldn't stain.
I was told that all polishing opens up pores on porcelain (and stone too) but particularly cheap porcelain would be more prone to open pores than higher grade, denser porcelain.

Have I got the correct brand?

20180806_102554.jpg

Reply to Polished porcelain ‘haze’ in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock