Discuss Plywood or self levelling prior to tiling a large window sill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

Noreng

I want to tile a large window sill, about 450mm deep and 7m long. Previously it was covered with veneered chipboard but after 25 years the sun plus moisture from watering plants and condensation from the windows above did for it.

The wall underneath is uneven brick with some wood inserts previously used to screw the wooden sill too.

So far my two thoughts are:
1) Use self leveling compound then tile directly onto this.
2) Install plywood then tile

The wall underneath is being lined with Gyproc thermaline, bonded to the wall with Dri wall Adhesive, so the tiles will need to go over the Thermaline as well as the old wall. This suggests to me that the plywood solution may be better.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Another factor? The sill gets a lot of sun, therefore potential differential heating with the substrate, the thick stone/brick wall underneath. Would this also point to plywood as the best solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Hi Noreng, how high is the sill? I suppose what i'm getting at is, will you be sitting on it or using as a bench at all?

N

Noreng

Tile backer board fixed with Fast set SPF adhesive and screws.

I looked at backer boards and they seemed to major on use in wet areas, this area is dry (well most of the time!) Presumably the advantage is stability?

Any particular makes or thicknesses for the backer board? People may sit on it so it may take a bit of a load from time to time.

G

Gazzer

As long as the board is solidly fixed then it will take the weight. Vastly superior over wood.

N

Noreng

One last Q.

The brick and cement is old and dusty, I will obviously clean as best I can, but should I prime/seal with anything prior to applying the SPF?

G

Gazzer

Yes prime with an acrylic or SBR tile primer not PVA !

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peckers

You could shutter it off and use sand and cement (screed) yourself a new cill, the only thing is is the drying time before you are able to tile it

C

Colour Republic

I think they might be sitting on it Dave, so they'd have to get a fair bed of drywall adhesive, better be safe than sorry:smilewinkgrin:

P

Perry

Dave's right and why use dry wall adhesive just use cement based on plasterboard and tiles easy as says cheaper lol

Reply to Plywood or self levelling prior to tiling a large window sill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks