Discuss Plywood or Hardiebacker or NoMorePly in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Colo

TF
Reaction score
Hello,
I would be very grateful for some help.

I have been left to finish a job my fittter started. He was going to overboard my existing OSB floor with 12mm ply and lay my 10mm porcelain tiles over . However, I have been left with the job and after doing some research on your forum I see that ply is not the best substrate.

I have looked at Hardiebacker and NoMorePly but I am unfamiliar with these products. I rang the manufacturer who states that 6mm boards are as strong as 18mm ply and to lay them instead of the ply. Is this product really better than ply.

Do any of you lads use this type of board and is it successful. Also which is best Hardiebacker or MoMorePLy.

I have tested the floor with a lazer level and there is no deflection.

I would be extremely grateful for any help as we are desperate without a bathroom.

Col

S

Spare Tool

If your fitter was going to use ply and tile straight onto it sounds like your better of doing it yourself anyway... 6mm Hardbacker fixed with tile adhesive and 25mm screws, stagger and tape the joints and your good to go

Colo

TF
Reaction score
If your fitter was going to use ply and tile straight onto it sounds like your better of doing it yourself anyway... 6mm Hardbacker fixed with tile adhesive and 25mm screws, stagger and tape the joints and your good to go

Thank you for your help and much needed advice. Like you said it could be a blessing in disguise.

ATB

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tape and fill the edges of the boards with strong grey Fibretape and leave a 3mm gap, don't use plasterboard tape.

I personally double tape aswell.

Colo

TF
Reaction score
Cheers for advice lads.

The tiles are not BCT (thankfully after what I read on here). They are good quality vitrified polished porcelain from an independent supplier.

What would you consider the best Hardi or NoMorePly. and are these boards really as strong as 18mm ply I find it amazing that somthing only 6mm thick can be as strong as 18mm ply.

I am grateful for all advice

Col

O

On one

Both companies make some outlandish statements about their products. But for me Hardiebacker edges it, if only for being softer and less liable to cracking at the edges when screwing into the floorboards.

W

Walshy

Is it always nesessary to put the 6mm boards down with both adhesive and screws? I always thought it was but the guy in my local tile shop swears you can just screw them down If the underlying floor is good?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
3mm perimeter yes.

Is it always nesessary to put the 6mm boards down with both adhesive and screws? I always thought it was but the guy in my local tile shop swears you can just screw them down If the underlying floor is good?

I was ridiculed once by an employed very quick but rough tiler for using adhesive under them, he left fully thinking he was right.

Adhesive every time for me, it won't get my home at 4:00pm like him though.

Colo

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent advice lads.

This might seem like a daft question but do I put the cement board straight on top of existing floor and does this take the place of ply.

Sorry for the ignorance

ATB

Col

Reply to Plywood or Hardiebacker or NoMorePly in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks