Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Please help - recent floor tiling job but grey grout instantly turning white in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,

I really need your help! I have just had a tiler install tiles throughout my house over the last week, with grey grout everywhere. He grouted the tiles only on Friday I believe and having looked at them over the last few days, all the grout is slowly and steadily turning white (into a chalky colour - picture attached below).

I'm literally stuck as I'm not sure where it's coming from. I've read about salt efflorescence and I'm starting to think it's that, but better yet what can I do about it as a matter of urgency? I tried rubbing the grout with a damp cloth and temporarily it removes the whiteness then just turns grey again after 5 minutes or so. With other deadlines in the house looming I just wanted to know if any of you guys had any ideas of what I could do? There's a photo attached to illustrate the problem.

PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU!

photo2.jpg

OP
M

Mike

that may well be the natural colour of the grout after drying out. grout always looks darker when wet. still looks dark to me in the pic tho

OP
T

tjmerwanji

Thing is on the corners it's a deep grey and doesn't seem to be changing. It's just in the middle it's turning whiteish (kinda chalky) and from what Topps Tiles have been saying, the deep grey is the colour...

Any way to rectify that? Regrout, pen, grout residue remover??

OP
D

DHTiling

Was it flexible grout... looks like latex leaching from over washing or washing to early.

OP
P

peckers

Is this the wall all floor?
what substrate is it on?
what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used?
What grout was used?

ok its the floor just noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Mike

you need to let it all dry out and then take a look again. if there's still 2 shades it will be hard to rectify it. if you put a colour pen on it both shades would change again. as for re-grouting i'd not do that till i know what caused the problem initially.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
All the bathroom floor tiles I do does this, I use Webber flexible grout (grey) and a flexible additive, it looks fine when wet but dries a uniform light chalky grey but looks okay and never had any complaints.

I wipe off carefully with a damp cloth about half an hour is this too early?

OP
D

Daz

I know we are talking about grout discolouration, but is it the camera angle or are the grout joints uneven and tapered too?
Pictures don't always illustrate the issue clearly. Where are you? I'm sure there must be a member on here that is local to you and prepared to find a few minutes to take a look and provide some advice.

OP
T

tjmerwanji

I live in the sorta Greater London, Wimbledon area. Anyone around?

Also the tiler has left a lot of thick groat near the walls and I have a feeling due to the thickness and size it's not going to change colour, which would make the grout colour different throughout.

I'm not a tiler or anything and I didn't want to seem too fussy to the tiler so just left him to it. Unfortunately it's gone wrong and I'm panicking as can't really put furniture in the house till it's sorted can I?

With regards to the tile, spacers were used throughout. Does it look bit bent? Can post other pictures if it helps?

Thank you all guys...for someone who's a natural worryer I really appreciate it!

OP
T

tjmerwanji

Also has this got something to do with it:
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

jay

dont think its efflorescense as this normally happens over a longer time period would help if you could give us some more information reg substrate adh ect primers
any more pics would help

OP
H

heavytrevy

Id wait 2 weeks to let the grout dry
If its still patchy after that im betting the tiler grouted before the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ had fully dryed.

Trev

Reply to Please help - recent floor tiling job but grey grout instantly turning white in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock