Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Plasterers who try to undermine your advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just had a call from my customer asking why I recommended the bathroom walls not to be skimmed ( fully tiled ).
he said the plasterer found it very strange and asked that he double checks with the tiler as he advises that they are skimmed.
More like he wants to charge him extra instead of just skimming the ceilings šŸ˜”šŸ˜”.

Donā€™t you just love other trades who think they know it all.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I did a bathroom a few weeks ago for the worst 'builder' i've ever come across..

Besides all the other issues, I tried to give him a bit of friendly advice not to bother skimming plasterboard in bathrooms... and then from that he somehow understood it to mean that I was having trouble tile it... he then continues to give me his own advice, which was to use drywall https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to fit the tiles, but just add in a bit of waterproofer as well... He then says that he cant do it with natural stone as you end up seeing the dabs behind :tired::tearsofjoy:

D

Dumbo

What I particularly like is when they do a crap job they suggest the fact that you are complaining about their work means you are no good at yours as a decent tiler would get over it.

T

Time's Ran Out

A decent Tiler WILL get over it - but thatā€™s not the point!
When we price work itā€™s usually unseen preparation so when you start adding extra https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, time and inconvenience to make that a good job it can often cause issues with the final bill payer.
The customers I tend to work for accept that extra cost, but you never recover the true value.
But builders are a different breed - they couldnā€™t care a sh*t!!

U

Unused Account 1

I did a job for a client ,the builder i never knew ,she picked a quality limestone tile for the big bath wall ,brick bond ,it was that bad half way up i left it for them to see ,i had to double the plasterboard up ,they could believe it ,

Reaction score
You donā€™t need plasterers these days... with all the backer boards and prep mortars on the market designed for tile a good tiler could do it all.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
getting sick to death of these bloody plasterer cowboys.
looked at a job last week, full bathroom to be tiled covered in bonding. told the customer it needs skimming, showed him the Google searches on my phone about why you can't tile to bonding and the plaster still insists it's not a problem, 2 coats of PVA and tile away..!
according to him the tiler hasn't got a clue what he's on about....!...:rage::rage:

D

Dumbo

getting sick to death of these bloody plasterer cowboys.
looked at a job last week, full bathroom to be tiled covered in bonding. told the customer it needs skimming, showed him the Google searches on my phone about why you can't tile to bonding and the plaster still insists it's not a problem, 2 coats of PVA and tile away..!
according to him the tiler hasn't got a clue what he's on about....!...:rage::rage:
If they trust the plasterers advice about tile more than yours , walk

Reply to Plasterers who try to undermine your advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock