Discuss Pictures of shower pan liner-US and Canadian method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rob Z

Thanks Dave...pls send your brother here so he and I can talk about wood butchering:smilewinkgrin:. What's he up to these days?

A

Alberta Stone

wonder board over the studs which have vapor barrier. It is an outside wall.
The board is nailed in place with 2 1/2 inch galvanized ring nails with oversized heads and the joints are all bonded with PL premium (polyurethane).
A preslope is put in and then drypack over that.

Attachments

• HPIM0819.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM0826.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
A

Alberta Stone

only so many pics per post.
The blue is mapei HPG which I use at times to provide a bit of extra protection in certain areas.

Attachments

• HPIM0837.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0841.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0855.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0867.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 11
A

Alberta Stone

some with stone on.
The ceiling was spec'd to be that way. (odd angles) The grout lines had to match with the walls.
We had to cut 4 x 4's from the 12 inchers and do the floor and ceiling as per directions.
I haven't any pics of the job grouted and sealed yet.
( a note for the first few snaps, the PL is scraped smooth when dry, then fibreglass tape is applied with thinset, then kerdi is put on with thinset. Tiles are fixed with unmodified thinset)

Attachments

• HPIM0868.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0875.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0887.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM0900.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
R

R Montgomery

Great to see the pics Rob!
Never really liked using Chloraloy as I always thought it felt a bit flimsy so I always prefered to use Composeal. Same gauge I think but a completely different feel.
So many things the same but slightly different methods. I like the use of the Noble membrane on the walls as it is much cleaner,quicker and cheaper than my prefered method of using Laticrete 9235 but I love the finish and the flexibility that the Laticrete gives.
Fantastic to see some mud work. Just one question after seeing the EML on the floor and that is do you use a dry-pack on the floor?

R

Rob Z

Hi Roger,

Yes, the EML on the floor of the bath was for drypack. That subfloor was out about an inch in 4 feet :yikes: so mud was the answer.

We've used hundreds of gallons of 9235, but now have made the switch to Lat Hydroban. I don't know why I chose the Noble CIS for this over Hydroban/9235. We did use the liquid waterproofing on the masonry bench and curb.

I've heard of Composeal but never seen it. I don't think it is sold around here. At least no one is doing hot mops here.

We scratched the walls and then the built-up of the final coat took it out to ~2 inches in places. We also plastered the walls in the rest of the bathroom.

Nice to see you back on the fourm.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Dave I don't think hot mop is done anywhere other than the West Coast (aka The Left Coast) :lol:. I've never seen it done. Roger I am sure has seen a lot of it during his years in CA.

R

R Montgomery

Hot mops where common in California 20+ years ago as were copper shower pans but they have virtually disappeared and are only rarely seen there now.
Composeal is blue Rob. Do you not use 20 gauge chicken wire on the floor? I find it a pain to go over eml and only used it for the shower dam and floor and when the city code required it on the walls.

R

R Montgomery

I agree with you on the Hydroban (Just starting to see it when I left). Only used it about 5 times and I was at the stage of not using the 9235 so much because of it. Love the colour change.Do think it needs more than one layer though.

R

Rob Z

Roger, the guys on the forums tell me that hot mops are still king in socal. I've never seen one in person. I did tear out a few showers from the 1950's that were nothing more than a few layers of roofing paper :yikes:. I'm amazed that they lasted as long as they did.

I don't know anything about the poultry netting. Again, that must be a East Coast/West Coast thing. The only times I have seen it have been in books and videos by Michael Byrne.

I agree with you about Hydroban-we go with three coats and usually with fabric in the corners, even though Laticrete says otherwise.

R

R Montgomery

Agree with you totally on the Hydroban. Chicken wire was pretty standard just some cities having lath codes and inspections. I use to like hot mops but the build up and the potential cracking swayed me away. Oh and the smell. A tile friend from New York said that the eml that they are getting at the moment has a tendancy to rust and blow out the tile. A couple of call backs within the year for blown dams. Having to waterproof the float to protect the eml now.

R

Rob Z

Roger, I last bought EML from a masonry supplier, and it was the good stuff. Some of this EML I see at Home Depot and Lowes is pure crap and almost certainly from China. When my current stock runs out I will be sure to find more good lath and hopefully avoid the problems your friend in NY has been seeing.

R

R Montgomery

Pretty sure it is from China too. Another problem that nobody should have to deal with.

Reply to Pictures of shower pan liner-US and Canadian method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks