Discuss Pecilastic on electric underfloor heating in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone know if you can fix Pecilastic (or similar) to electric underfloor heating mat that has been covered in levelling compound? Have a situation where the join in two insulation boards coincides with a join in timber floorboards below it. It’s a plank tile floor and the planks will be running at right angles to the join in boards described. I can see a hairline crack in levelling compound and am concerned about the planks cracking.
Many Thanks.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Needed an expansion strip where the two floors met.

Oh no wait.

So we have a timber tongue and groove floor, then insulation boards, then underfloor heating mat (cable), then self levelling compound?

What insulation boards were used? And what were they stuck down with?

Any pictures of the job?

J

J Sid

I'll be concerned with the ufh wire, is it running across the joint or are the two areas independent of each other as they should be with a expansion joint over the two floor intersection?

Reaction score
Photo shows the join of of two 10mm Marmox boards. This join is directly above a join in the floorboards. Insulation board is stuck with Setaflex adhesive and also screwed down.

Attachments

• B17979AF-B631-4EFC-875A-0E5E7474D8A2.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 19

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I might have read that wrong mate.

So it's a join in the timber floor. Matching a join in an insulation board.

Edit: posted at the same time then.

Is the wood floorboards or that tongue and groove chipboard stuff?

Then next question would be is the marmox meant to have a tape over joins? And it might just be that you've lost some SLC down the join and some adhesive there would be fine?

Something seems weird with it but it's beyond my scope mate so I'll stay out of it now.

Reaction score
I don’t normally tape the joins of insulation boards and never had a problem. I might be worried over nothing, but I got a bit alarmed when I noticed that SLC had disappeared. I don’t think I would have left that big a gap between boards when fixing them and am concerned that gap might have developed by slight movement in the two floorboards in the time between insulation boards were fixed and SLC applied which was a couple of weeks.

If I can lay pecilastic over this join then I think it’s a sensible precaution against the tiles possibly cracking, I’m just unsure of the ‘rules’ about laying any anti fracture mat over UFH cables.

D

Dumbo

You're joints should be taped as per recommendation they should also run at 90 degrees to the orientation of the floor boards , are they screwed down or just stuck ,
I've run membrane over ufh , no problems , why should there be , but they may ask for more depth of leveller first before laying membrane

Reaction score
Boards are laid at right angles to floorboards and are screwed as well as stuck. The join in the floorboards below are where the ends of some floor boards meet and also where some have been cut to (I presume) carry out plumbing/electrical work. That’s why gap is fairly isolated and not spanning the whole room.
I’ll go with a membrane, anyone know of (if any) recommended minimum depth of SLC above UFH cables?
Cheers.

D

Dumbo

Boards are laid at right angles to floorboards and are screwed as well as stuck. The join in the floorboards below are where the ends of some floor boards meet and also where some have been cut to (I presume) carry out plumbing/electrical work. That’s why gap is fairly isolated and not spanning the whole room.
I’ll go with a membrane, anyone know of (if any) recommended minimum depth of SLC above UFH cables?p
Cheers.
Depends on membrane , speak to the manufacturer if your chosen product .

Reply to Pecilastic on electric underfloor heating in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks