Discuss Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
aggree with Andrew. i use mapei grout all the time. some times if you get too much water on grout, it washes colour pigment away ( very important to feed grout with water evenly)

R

richardbell81

aggree with Andrew. i use mapei grout all the time. some times if you get too much water on grout, it washes colour pigment away ( very important to feed grout with water evenly)

It's the fact that it has dried darker than it should be in patches, not lighter! The lighter patches are the correct colour and match the grout sample i went by! I certainly didn't over use water and I could not have been more precise in my measuring!

I even stirred the dry powder in the bag before hand to make sure I got an even mix!

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
Sorry I failed to notice you didnt use a paddle, mapei grout is less forgiving than other brands but I believe that's due to a more complex formulation, hence more thorough mixing required!
What sort of temperature is the room at?
Excessive surface water when washing can cause discolouration
dry adhesive residue in the joints even when scraped clean, if not even can cause the same problem as it draws moisture from the grout unevenly!
I could go on with a long list of maybes ,
has it improved at all since yesterday?
Have you tried a hair dryer on a small patch of the dark, just to see if it is a moisture issue?

R

richardbell81

Sorry I failed to notice you didnt use a paddle, mapei grout is less forgiving than other brands but I believe that's due to a more complex formulation, hence more thorough mixing required!
What sort of temperature is the room at?
Excessive surface water when washing can cause discolouration
dry adhesive residue in the joints even when scraped clean, if not even can cause the same problem as it draws moisture from the grout unevenly!
I could go on with a long list of maybes ,
has it improved at all since yesterday?
Have you tried a hair dryer on a small patch of the dark, just to see if it is a moisture issue?

I went back today, and if it was any better, then it was barely noticeable! I will try the hairdryer trick and see what happens! I can honestly say I mixed it as well as I could... would the use of a paddle make such a huge difference despite the fact i was only mixing up 1kg?

I just can't see how this product is on the shelves if it is so sensitive... you need a bloody laboratory to prepare this stuff!

O

On one

BAL Micromax, super flex and microflex, basically BAL. I have always used BAL and on the few occasions I've used ultra colour I've had issues, either setting too quickly, drying patchy etc, I also don't like the fact that it needs to be mixed a whole 5kg bag to exactly 1 litre of water, to me that suggests that it's too sensitive. I've read too many posts on here with it going wrong from DIY and pro's. I know a lot of folks on here love it so it must be a decent product, but not for me.
The instructions on the 5kg bags of Mapei UCP does state 5kg per 1 litre of water,but it does go on to state(can't remember the words exactly) but words to the effect that different colours need different amounts of water!
For what it's worth never had a problem with any of the Bal or Mapei grouts.

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
A standard grout will have less components, specifically formulated colours are more complex in there make up! You need to mix the whole bag in order to get the consistency spot on! The better the quality of product the more time and care required to optimise it!
Sorry mate I M O this is the problem was it a 5kg bag?

B

bugs183

It's defo down to the individual in which grout and adhesive they prefer working with.
I find Bal grout much messier and grittier than Mapei!!!!
I grouted a 35 meter bathroom tiled with unfilled 200x100 unfilled travertine and had a great time with Mapei Jasmine grout, no mess, easy to wash off, and dried perfectly, lovely looking job.
I'm not trying to win the debate or play devils advacote here by the way!

R

richardbell81

A standard grout will have less components, specifically formulated colours are more complex in there make up! You need to mix the whole bag in order to get the consistency spot on! The better the quality of product the more time and care required to optimise it!
Sorry mate I M O this is the problem was it a 5kg bag?

It was a 5kg bag yeh... so, if i re-did it... does that mean I'd have to buy a whole new bag???

R

richardbell81

It was hard enough tryng to find this stuff in the first place!!! I could only find a 5kg bag online. I even contacted the Mapei reps who couldn't really help.

:mad2:

R

richardbell81

Would getting keracolour and using the fugolastic addy make the results any more predictable???

Reply to Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks