Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Partially tiled-over wetroom floor - how to seal where tiles meet vinyl? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

UK Pro Tiling Training
Reactions
22 1
My late mother tiled over the wetroom floor up to the shower section.
I vaguely recall her saying she did this as she got wet feet just using the sink. There were always pools of water that didn't drain away.

The green tiles were the last of a run - there are no spares anywhere.
I don't know what she fixed them with, but the floor tiles do not budge (also pass glass test). However, water is getting on/under/around the tiling and making its way up the room.
The piece of wetroom floor exposed within the boxing is damp.
This doesn't appear to have been sealed.

I'm quite happy with the tiles, and tiles-to-vinyl combo, I just want it to look finished and to prevent a prospective problem (the shower has only been used sporadically up until the last month and it has plenty of heating and ventilation so it has stayed dry).

My current plan is:
- Remove grout and let floor dry out for a week or so.
- Fill all gaps and seal all edges with matching sanitary silicone sealant.
- Replace grout - with what? Needs to be flexible and waterproof?
- Add a lip/trim (of what?) between the tiles and the floor to make it look 'finished', and to minimise water escape.

Am I on the right track please?
Also, any products (grout? sealant? trim?) you'd advise for this please?
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
Reactions
hello dottigirl, if asked I would have grouted with epoxy
grout. I would have wanted to see if any pipes in the boxing
were causing the damp before siliconing/ tile trimming that
lip.

Adey1980

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,784 19

Adey1980

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,784 19
As mentioned, might be best to use an epoxy grout and matching colour silicone for internal corners.
As for tile to vinyl there are plenty of trims that could be used to finish it off.
Try @Pro Tiler Tools or @Schlüter-Systems Ltd and look at what trims will suit the finish you want.

Reactions
22 1
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hello dottigirl, if asked I would have grouted with epoxy
grout. I would have wanted to see if any pipes in the boxing
were causing the damp before siliconing/ tile trimming that
lip.
Hi, Dean.
Yes, that was my first thought when I saw the damp floor. The pipes are bone dry though - I've checked them several times.
The water comes up very easily from the shower, and if there is even the slightest blockage in the drain, it creeps up the tiles.

Reactions
you might want to check the shower waste to see it's
giving you it's best. Appreciate you're trying to avoid
too much disruption. Is there an adequate fall, has a
bend become partially blocked.

Reactions
22 1
As mentioned, might be best to use an epoxy grout and matching colour silicone for internal corners.
As for tile to vinyl there are plenty of trims that could be used to finish it off.
Try @Pro Tiler Tools or @Schlüter-Systems Ltd and look at what trims will suit the finish you want.

Thanks for picking up my distress call. ;)
I've been looking at the genesis-angled-transition-strip.
Genesis Angled Transition Strip TAS157 W 50mm x D 15mm (self adhesive) 2.7m length | Buy Self Adhesive Bars Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/genesis-angled-transition-strip-tas157-w-50mm-x-d-15mm--self-adhesive--2-7m-length
It's the right shape and size, though I'm not sure if the adhesive would last in a damp environment - I'd have to silicone it down?
Or matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp may look nicer, but I'll need to clear out under the tiles to slide it in.
Matt Silver Aluminium Tile In Ramp RSA | Buy Aluminium Tile In Ramps Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp-rsa
(hoping the links will work)

I'd come across that seller on eBay yesterday, while I was looking at the Tilemaster adhesive and grout, but I always prefer buying direct. Bonus if this forum benefits. :)
Unfortunately, they only have the Kerapoxy in white. :(

P.S. Is Tilemaster stuff OK for a beginner to use please? Also got some other tiling to do too and getting the bits basketed.

Reactions
22 1
you might want to check the shower waste to see it's
giving you it's best. Appreciate you're trying to avoid
too much disruption. Is there an adequate fall, has a
bend become partially blocked.
It seems to get blocked very, very easily - I'm having to unscrew and take off the top disc plate every week. I do currently have very long hair though (growing to donate to a cancer charity), and I...err, wash the dogs' feet in there (like most dog owners, I'm getting a little paranoid about this Alabama Rot).
Once I've cleaned it, it seems to work fine. However, the floor is really flat and I have to direct the shower head or brush any silt into the drain, otherwise it just sits there. I was expecting there to be some form of slight gradient towards the drain?

Reactions
hello dottigirl, Looks like you're stuck with no gradient on the floor
till you're in a position to have it dug up and relaid by someone
who does it all the time. If by luck the cubicle is on an outside wall
you may have access to the shower waste and there may be a partial
blockage.( I have a dog too, I understand your worries with this
disease our pets can pick up. I saw on the internet it may be linked
to water in ponds, puddles etc found in woodland).

Adey1980

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,784 19
Thanks for picking up my distress call. ;)
I've been looking at the genesis-angled-transition-strip.
Genesis Angled Transition Strip TAS157 W 50mm x D 15mm (self adhesive) 2.7m length | Buy Self Adhesive Bars Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/genesis-angled-transition-strip-tas157-w-50mm-x-d-15mm--self-adhesive--2-7m-length
It's the right shape and size, though I'm not sure if the adhesive would last in a damp environment - I'd have to silicone it down?
Or matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp may look nicer, but I'll need to clear out under the tiles to slide it in.
Matt Silver Aluminium Tile In Ramp RSA | Buy Aluminium Tile In Ramps Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp-rsa
(hoping the links will work)

I'd come across that seller on eBay yesterday, while I was looking at the Tilemaster adhesive and grout, but I always prefer buying direct. Bonus if this forum benefits. :)
Unfortunately, they only have the Kerapoxy in white. :(

P.S. Is Tilemaster stuff OK for a beginner to use please? Also got some other tiling to do too and getting the bits basketed.
If you need to get some adhesive from under a tile use a multitool to get it out then plenty of room to push a trim in.
Stick it down with a good quality silicone like Dow Corning.
Dow Corning - Search Results | Screwfix.com - https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=Dow+Corning
As with tilemaster adhesive use standard set as unless you are quick you will waste more adhesive than what you need.

Reactions
22 1
Have stuck the silicone in my basket, thanks. (The only grey is the

However, I was looking at exactly how the water was flowing last night and I suspect some form of vertical barrier is needed in addition - between the tiles and the shower curtain. The curtain leaves a gap at the bottom, and a lot of water is getting onto the tiles that way.
(If I moved the curtain in towards the shower, the cubicle would be too small.)

I dug out my short spirit level and discovered a lot of the tiles are tilted ever-so-slightly away from the shower. That really isn't helping.:rolleyes:

I'd love to be able to remove and replace them with a tilt towards the shower - I think along with waterproofing, that would be the longer term solution - but that'll also be a much bigger job. A vertical barrier would help fix it for now (or at least, stop it deteriorating).

Just thinking of what to use to do this. Around 8-10cm by 118cm would do it, preferably with a lip t0 stabilise. A piece of acrylic sheet maybe? With a piece of metal straight-edge tile trim keeping it in place?

Reactions
22 1
Maybe a piece of kerdi board cut down and used as a shower curb?
You can then tile the kerdi board.
Brilliant idea, thanks. Have started planning the curb/kerb.
(I don't know where my earlier reply disappeared - I had my plan of action all typed out.)
Anyway, I've added some more board to my ProTiler order and have been looking at small tiles like this to stick over the curb:
Matt Grey Brick Mosaic Tiles Bijou Brick Mosaic Tiles 300x295x5.2mm Tiles - https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/bijou-brick-mosaic-tiles-matt-grey-brick-mosaic-tiles

My other option would be to tile over the floor tiles and add a gradient tilting towards the shower with new tiles, but that's expense I was hoping to avoid. Or, after removing the old grout, add the new stuff in on an angle so escaping water would be channelled back towards the shower.

I think it'll depend on what I find when I remove the old grout and silicone, but that won't be until next month, when I don't need the room for a while.

So, in the words of Arnie, I'll be back!

(Thanks to everyone so far.)

Reactions
22 1
The problems keep building (for anyone who's still following)...

I did arrange for someone to come around to look at this, but he never turned up. Depressingly, par for the course around here.

In the meantime, I'm going to contact Ceredigion council/Porth Gofal/whoever to see if I can find out how the wetroom was originally installed.

Anyways...I was inspecting where the tiles meet the vinyl, and spotted in one area a few grout cracks, and pin pricks in the silicone. I suspect I may need to remove the bottom layers of tiles (not sure how many), to check what's going on behind. They're only cheap 148x148s, and whatever I do with the shower area will probably be easier with them gone. Replace with proper board, tank...

Was wondering what happens if the new tiles are further out than the higher up rows? Cosmetically, do they have to be identical? If I'm re-tiling, I may as well look at replacing the vinyl and sorting the gradient out.

I'd like to change the round drain cover for something which doesn't need unscrewing to clean, or with a higher/raised cover. I can't see anything online which is suitable. There's no way a plumber around here would be interested in such a minor job either.

Not sure where to go from here. So many questions, so much searching for answers. I'm sure I'm capable, but I just don't have the knowledge. (I do however have a nifty new multi-tool and drill.)

Anyone fancy a free holiday (rural three-bed property, large garden) by the seaside of Mid Wales this summer in exchange for sorting out this bathroom? Materials paid for, just knowledge and experience required.

*sigh*

Adey1980

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,784 19
I’ve been aske to tile a wetroom floor last week, it’s a vinyl floor and there is no gradient to it.
It’s on ground floor and in concrete. I suggested putting a low profile tray and having wate moved around ( all done by a plumber) then had call yesterday that they got to keep it a wetfloor ( rental property) so I said it will cost quite a lot to dig up and put a former in etc so maybe get lowest shower tray and I’ll tile the ready of the floor to that height and just slope the tile by the door threshold.
I’m still waiting to hear back

Reactions
22 1
I’ve been asked to tile a wetroom floor last week, it’s a vinyl floor and there is no gradient to it.
It’s on ground floor and in concrete. I suggested putting a low profile tray and having waste moved around ( all done by a plumber) then had call yesterday that they got to keep it a wetfloor ( rental property) so I said it will cost quite a lot to dig up and put a former in etc so maybe get lowest shower tray and I’ll tile the ready of the floor to that height and just slope the tile by the door threshold.
I’m still waiting to hear back
That's really interesting - let me know how you get on with it. A shower tray has been suggested to me, but I suspect there will be a problem with the odd shape and fitting the waste. I think it's all concreted in, which sounds like it'll make a former expensive too.

I was considering doing the *cough* naughty and tiling over the tiles & possibly vinyl (if I can sort out a suitable height extension for the waste). There's a 25mm step from the hall down to the bathroom, and 12mm from the tiles to the vinyl, so I do have that to play with for the gradient. Moving/replacing the loo will be a bit of a hassle.

(Sidenote: I popped in to the local tile shop last week, and the bloke there said it wasn't the first wetroom floor in the area that had the same problem with the gradient. Seems they're being installed on the cheap as a measure/bodge for elderly and disabled, most of whom (like my gran) pass away before the problems are discovered, are oblivious of them, or aren't well enough to sort them out, or can't afford to. If it's over a year since installation, they won't take responsibility for rectifying any problems.)

Called the mobility people who referred me to their technical team, but the fella there was careful to not give me the names of any contractors who may be able to look at it. He did mention a local company who supplied mobility stuff though, and I've contacted a lad I know who contracts for an offshoot.

D

Dougs Third Go

to my mind it's a rip-out start again job, so many potential failure points trying to make that a leak free wetroom by trying to makedo and mend.

Reactions
22 1
to my mind it's a rip-out start again job, so many potential failure points trying to make that a leak free wetroom by trying to makedo and mend.
There is that too. On the weekend, my brother-in-law suggested ripping up the floor tiles/vinyl and replacing them with something more modern. I've no idea what that would be and how - I'm not really a fan of the vinyl but it appears to be well stuck down, not have any leaks itself, and the curved floor corners would be buried under the adhesive filler I'll need to create the gradient to keep the water in the shower area. I'm considering it the pre-installed tanking layer!

When I can get someone in to have a look at it, I'll ask for this option to be considered. I probably can't afford replacement, but I can't rule it out yet.

D

Dougs Third Go

There is that too. On the weekend, my brother-in-law suggested ripping up the floor tiles/vinyl and replacing them with something more modern. I've no idea what that would be and how - I'm not really a fan of the vinyl but it appears to be well stuck down, not have any leaks itself, and the curved floor corners would be buried under the adhesive filler I'll need to create the gradient to keep the water in the shower area. I'm considering it the pre-installed tanking layer!

When I can get someone in to have a look at it, I'll ask for this option to be considered. I probably can't afford replacement, but I can't rule it out yet.
on reflection it's probably easy and blasé for me to say what I said, but I inherited a bathroom very similar and chose to rip out and re-do, the fact that I could do all the work myself and get materials at trade price, hence a saving of 40% made it more "do-able" does seem irrelevant \I suppose.

Reactions
22 1
I've seen that pic on another thread - it made me chuckle. Lovely animal. My two are a little smaller. And have more hair, when I'm not clipping it off.

I'd like to do what I can myself, and I don't mind spending time hunting around for bargains. I don't want to skimp on materials or take silly shortcuts though - that's false economy and what got the room into the state it is.

Reactions
22 1
Interesting stuff yesterday from people in the trade:

(TLDR: it's still total rip-out, or bodging it. FML.)

- Apparently there have been a LOT of wetroom failures around here, both recent and historic. There's even a video on YT showing a floor filling up.

- I popped into Plumb Center and picked the brains of the guy behind the counter. He said there aren't any shower trays which would be big enough (the area is 118cm wide) and the drains won't line up.
He thinks there's likely to be problems lurking around the lower levels of wall tiles.
For that drain, there are no extensions available, and changing the drain wouldn't be possible without ripping up the vinyl. However, he suggested I could elevate the current drain cover with a couple of longer screws. I'd still have to find something to stabilise the sides. Cutting tiles around a circular drain will be a challenge, but I think this may be my budget option.

- Also went to the company (decent rep) who're just getting into the mobility market. Coincidentally, I knew the relevant guy from the local cycling club. He's coming around next week to have a proper look at the place - to quote for a total redo, or for alternative suggestions. (He concurred that there are problems brewing under those lower wall tiles too.)

Both of the above mentioned shower panels to replace the wall tiles, but I'm not really keen on the caravan effect (I cleaned too many of the damn things as a teenager).
I don't want it to look like an old people's home either, and I think that'll be in their plans for a redo.

So, back to my sealing and tiling-over plan, with added replacement of an as-yet-undetermined number of wall tiles.

Would larger porcelain tiles to a certain height then leaving the white squares above look totally naff? Has anyone done an upstand like this around the base please?
pentyak - https://www.houzz.co.uk/photo/19297502-pentyak-transitional-bathroom

Reply to Partially tiled-over wetroom floor - how to seal where tiles meet vinyl? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

TileFix Direct
UK Pro Tiling Training
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.