Discuss Partially tiled-over wetroom floor - how to seal where tiles meet vinyl? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

dottigirl

dottigirl

TF
Reactions
22 1
My late mother tiled over the wetroom floor up to the shower section.
I vaguely recall her saying she did this as she got wet feet just using the sink. There were always pools of water that didn't drain away.

The green tiles were the last of a run - there are no spares anywhere.
I don't know what she fixed them with, but the floor tiles do not budge (also pass glass test). However, water is getting on/under/around the tiling and making its way up the room.
The piece of wetroom floor exposed within the boxing is damp.
This doesn't appear to have been sealed.

I'm quite happy with the tiles, and tiles-to-vinyl combo, I just want it to look finished and to prevent a prospective problem (the shower has only been used sporadically up until the last month and it has plenty of heating and ventilation so it has stayed dry).

My current plan is:
- Remove grout and let floor dry out for a week or so.
- Fill all gaps and seal all edges with matching sanitary silicone sealant.
- Replace grout - with what? Needs to be flexible and waterproof?
- Add a lip/trim (of what?) between the tiles and the floor to make it look 'finished', and to minimise water escape.

Am I on the right track please?
Also, any products (grout? sealant? trim?) you'd advise for this please?
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
D

dean.diy

TF
Reactions
hello dottigirl, if asked I would have grouted with epoxy
grout. I would have wanted to see if any pipes in the boxing
were causing the damp before siliconing/ tile trimming that
lip.

G

GoneGuy

As mentioned, might be best to use an epoxy grout and matching colour silicone for internal corners.
As for tile to vinyl there are plenty of trims that could be used to finish it off.
Try @Pro Tiler Tools or @Schlüter-Systems Ltd and look at what trims will suit the finish you want.

dottigirl

dottigirl

TF
Reactions
22 1
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hello dottigirl, if asked I would have grouted with epoxy
grout. I would have wanted to see if any pipes in the boxing
were causing the damp before siliconing/ tile trimming that
lip.
Hi, Dean.
Yes, that was my first thought when I saw the damp floor. The pipes are bone dry though - I've checked them several times.
The water comes up very easily from the shower, and if there is even the slightest blockage in the drain, it creeps up the tiles.

D

dean.diy

TF
Reactions
you might want to check the shower waste to see it's
giving you it's best. Appreciate you're trying to avoid
too much disruption. Is there an adequate fall, has a
bend become partially blocked.

dottigirl

dottigirl

TF
Reactions
22 1
As mentioned, might be best to use an epoxy grout and matching colour silicone for internal corners.
As for tile to vinyl there are plenty of trims that could be used to finish it off.
Try @Pro Tiler Tools or @Schlüter-Systems Ltd and look at what trims will suit the finish you want.

Thanks for picking up my distress call. ;)
I've been looking at the genesis-angled-transition-strip.
Genesis Angled Transition Strip TAS157 W 50mm x D 15mm (self adhesive) 2.7m length | Buy Self Adhesive Bars Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/genesis-angled-transition-strip-tas157-w-50mm-x-d-15mm--self-adhesive--2-7m-length
It's the right shape and size, though I'm not sure if the adhesive would last in a damp environment - I'd have to silicone it down?
Or matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp may look nicer, but I'll need to clear out under the tiles to slide it in.
Matt Silver Aluminium Tile In Ramp RSA | Buy Aluminium Tile In Ramps Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp-rsa
(hoping the links will work)

I'd come across that seller on eBay yesterday, while I was looking at the Tilemaster adhesive and grout, but I always prefer buying direct. Bonus if this forum benefits. :)
Unfortunately, they only have the Kerapoxy in white. :(

P.S. Is Tilemaster stuff OK for a beginner to use please? Also got some other tiling to do too and getting the bits basketed.

dottigirl

dottigirl

TF
Reactions
22 1
you might want to check the shower waste to see it's
giving you it's best. Appreciate you're trying to avoid
too much disruption. Is there an adequate fall, has a
bend become partially blocked.
It seems to get blocked very, very easily - I'm having to unscrew and take off the top disc plate every week. I do currently have very long hair though (growing to donate to a cancer charity), and I...err, wash the dogs' feet in there (like most dog owners, I'm getting a little paranoid about this Alabama Rot).
Once I've cleaned it, it seems to work fine. However, the floor is really flat and I have to direct the shower head or brush any silt into the drain, otherwise it just sits there. I was expecting there to be some form of slight gradient towards the drain?

D

dean.diy

TF
Reactions
hello dottigirl, Looks like you're stuck with no gradient on the floor
till you're in a position to have it dug up and relaid by someone
who does it all the time. If by luck the cubicle is on an outside wall
you may have access to the shower waste and there may be a partial
blockage.( I have a dog too, I understand your worries with this
disease our pets can pick up. I saw on the internet it may be linked
to water in ponds, puddles etc found in woodland).

G

GoneGuy

Thanks for picking up my distress call. ;)
I've been looking at the genesis-angled-transition-strip.
Genesis Angled Transition Strip TAS157 W 50mm x D 15mm (self adhesive) 2.7m length | Buy Self Adhesive Bars Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/genesis-angled-transition-strip-tas157-w-50mm-x-d-15mm--self-adhesive--2-7m-length
It's the right shape and size, though I'm not sure if the adhesive would last in a damp environment - I'd have to silicone it down?
Or matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp may look nicer, but I'll need to clear out under the tiles to slide it in.
Matt Silver Aluminium Tile In Ramp RSA | Buy Aluminium Tile In Ramps Online from Pro Tiler Tools - https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/matt-silver-aluminium-tile-in-ramp-rsa
(hoping the links will work)

I'd come across that seller on eBay yesterday, while I was looking at the Tilemaster adhesive and grout, but I always prefer buying direct. Bonus if this forum benefits. :)
Unfortunately, they only have the Kerapoxy in white. :(

P.S. Is Tilemaster stuff OK for a beginner to use please? Also got some other tiling to do too and getting the bits basketed.
If you need to get some adhesive from under a tile use a multitool to get it out then plenty of room to push a trim in.
Stick it down with a good quality silicone like Dow Corning.
Dow Corning - Search Results | Screwfix.com - https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=Dow+Corning
As with tilemaster adhesive use standard set as unless you are quick you will waste more adhesive than what you need.

dottigirl

dottigirl

TF
Reactions
22 1
Have stuck the silicone in my basket, thanks. (The only grey is the

However, I was looking at exactly how the water was flowing last night and I suspect some form of vertical barrier is needed in addition - between the tiles and the shower curtain. The curtain leaves a gap at the bottom, and a lot of water is getting onto the tiles that way.
(If I moved the curtain in towards the shower, the cubicle would be too small.)

I dug out my short spirit level and discovered a lot of the tiles are tilted ever-so-slightly away from the shower. That really isn't helping.:rolleyes:

I'd love to be able to remove and replace them with a tilt towards the shower - I think along with waterproofing, that would be the longer term solution - but that'll also be a much bigger job. A vertical barrier would help fix it for now (or at least, stop it deteriorating).

Just thinking of what to use to do this. Around 8-10cm by 118cm would do it, preferably with a lip t0 stabilise. A piece of acrylic sheet maybe? With a piece of metal straight-edge tile trim keeping it in place?

Reply to Partially tiled-over wetroom floor - how to seal where tiles meet vinyl? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 0