Discuss Painted plaster on kitchen splashback in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Kmulr9

-
Reaction score
I am about to take on a kitchen backsplash with a standard metro tile and am looking for some advice. The surface is painted plaster, paint in good condition. Should the plaster be scored, sanded and then primed before tiling? Just keeping myself right as i have seen people with different opinions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks 👍

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
In an ideal world you don’t want to tile a painted surface.
Personally, I only use cement based adhesives and from experience I score the walls diagonally from left and right, clean and prime.
As it’s only a backsplash and there are no weight issues, that should be fine.
Good luck 👍🏼

Kmulr9

-
Reaction score
Personally, I only use cement based adhesives and from experience I score the walls diagonally from left and right, clean and prime.
Good luck 👍🏼
Thanks a lot mate 👍

Reaction score
Remove any flaking plaster or paint. Lightly score and paint Febond blue grit to the walls. Allow to dry fully They’re only metro tiles so ready mix adhesive should be ok. We only use cement based adhesives normally but horses for courses. Just pay attention to getting the first row vertical and flat over the longest length- (horizontal if required - )use a long level. 2mm spacers. Pay attention to internal and external corners and use edging trim where required.
Grout, job done.

Kmulr9

-
Reaction score
Good luck 👍🏼
Remove any flaking plaster or paint. Lightly score and paint Febond blue grit to the walls. Allow to dry fully They’re only metro tiles so ready mix adhesive should be ok. We only use cement based adhesives normally but horses for courses. Just pay attention to getting the first row vertical and flat over the longest length- (horizontal if required - )use a long level. 2mm spacers. Pay attention to internal and external corners and use edging trim where required.
Grout, job done.
Cheers mate, job went well 👍

Reply to Painted plaster on kitchen splashback in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks