Discuss Overwhelmed By Whole Concept For Uneven Concrete Sub-base, Laminate Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

S

Sheepdisease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guess I need to register with them so I can access their catalogue.

S

Sheepdisease

I have been thinking about this and I need to get around a problem I will encounter.

Plan of action: Level sub-base, fit thermal barrier, fit under floor heating mat, fit laminate flooring.

Problem: There are going to be areas where no underfloor heating is required so the level of the floor will be different in those areas.

You could say I should put down the thermal barrier so that it covers the entire space, even where there is no under floor heating mat. The trouble is, I don't think this would work very well in the spaces where I am planning on putting kitchen units as I don't imagine it would create a particularly stable platform.

I have been weighing up the pros and cons of putting laminate down before the kitchen units and know of two people who didn't do this and regretted it later on because their integrated appliances died but they could not remove them as the floor was higher than the unit legs preventing them from being pulled out.

So what should I do about this problem regarding differences in height?

F

Flintstone

Just lay the laminate under the kitchen, it will be perfectly stable once down.

S

Sheepdisease

So I should lay the thermal barrier on the whole floor space before putting down the under floor heating and laminate? You are confident that this will be stable enough?

F

Flintstone

The thermal boards them self will be fine, you can walk on them and it won't leave any inprint so the load isn't going to get any greater than that. They are made for the job! I guess it depends how thick your underfloor heating Matt is as to weather you need to put something in where there is no heat Matt to keep the same level, say 3 or 4mm, not sure what you would use

F

Flintstone

Level the floor, lay the thermal boards, lay the underfloor heating.

S

Sheepdisease

Thank you for your reply.

My question was specifically about whether once the floor is level, the thermal barrier, underfloor heating mat and laminate is down, would you be confident that this would create a stable platform for kitchen base units?

It was following on from my problem concerning the floor otherwise not being level between areas where thermal barrier is and is not placed if it would cause the units to become unstable.

J

J Sid

Put kitchen in first, leave kick boards off.
Then put insulation boards, ufh and laminate down.
Why would you want to go under the units with laminate?
I sure you would want to change your laminate some time in the future as it starts look worn, before you will be changing your kitchen units

Reply to Overwhelmed By Whole Concept For Uneven Concrete Sub-base, Laminate Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.