Discuss Overwhelmed By Whole Concept For Uneven Concrete Sub-base, Laminate Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

S

Sheepdisease

Hello there,

I am looking to have an electric underfloor heating system fitted on an uneven concrete floor for the whole of downstairs.

Downstairs comprises of a hallway, lounge and kitchen. I want to have two thermostats to regulate the temperature of the lounge and kitchen separately, the hallway would be controller by the thermostat in the lounge.

It has been recommended that I use a 160W system.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while but I can't quite figure out what order things need to be done and what products people would truly recommend which are reasonably priced and reliable.

So far I think that you cover the sub-base with some sort of thermal barrier to prevent the heat from escaping through the ground (secured using a flexible adhesive), followed by the heating mat and finally the laminate flooring goes on top without being fixed down to allow expansion and contraction.

Has anyone got any advise for keeping this job low-cost but ensuring reliable results?

At what point would I put down self-levelling compound to even out the differences between heights in areas which used to be divided by brick walls? The height varies by up to 1/2 inch in places.

S

Sheepdisease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, can anyone tell me if Mira X Plan Flexible Fibre Reinforced Self Levelling Compound - 20Kg is good stuff?

I have estimated that I need 28 bags.

Price Quantity Tax Subtotal
£10.00 28 £56.00 £280.00

Estimate

• Subtotal:£280.00
    • Shipping cost:£42.00
    • Taxes:
    • VAT (20%):£64.40
    • Total cost:£386.40
Sounds like a good deal compared to 25Kg Thermoplan Compound £30 a bag, quantity 22 and total £660.00

M

Martyn Leeds

TF
Reactions
I've used the Mira X plan SLC. It was alright to use - just took a while to go off..

hmtiling

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,817 33
My experience with X plan was not good. I found it had a terrible flow and didn't mix well. Cheap for a reason imo.

J

J Sid

To level out substrate prior to insulation boards a standard levelling compound will be fine, doesn't need to be fibre modified.

J

Just Rizzle

I use tons of this stuff eco leveller by mapei get at ctd for about £10 a bag

M

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reactions
92 2
Save yourself a load of time, effort, expenditure and frustration and have a split unit air conditioning system installed.

When I looked in to all the heating methods for my conservatory everything seemed too expensive and would'nt give me the control I wanted. The air conditioning heats 18m2 room in no time and it's easy to control the temperature too. An underfloor electric system would probably use 2kw to heat the room whereas my air conditioning system has never used more than 750 watts.

S

Sheepdisease

Maybe I should have asked which is the best bang for buck self-levelling compound available and where you get it at that price. So, what would people recommend?

I'm not specifically looking for a flexible fibre reinforced compound given the previosu response.

Reply to Overwhelmed By Whole Concept For Uneven Concrete Sub-base, Laminate Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.